cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sezaic
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Some Components Are Missing. Please Reinstall.

It seems like since the beginning of the year, I have had to reinstall McAfee four or five times. I keep getting a red 'x' that brings me to the what seems to be the dreaded 'components are missing. Please reinstall' quote. I reinstall the whole security suite, but after what seems like a few days or two weeks at most the same error comes back. I've clicked the 'fix' button which does nothing. Every option I try seems to loop the software back to a 'update' mode where it tries to 'download virus scan'. It says it downloads the whole thing, but when it goes to 'install' it, absolutely nothing happens. The circling arrow disappears, and I'm left sitting with a red 'x' again. I also tried the virtual technitian. My session id is 18228857. I have the Mal-warebytes, but I can't see how that would interfere with the software as I have to activate it myself. Plus, I have the same setup on another computer and it works together fine. I feel as if I'm going in circles. Help!
3 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

RE: Some Components Are Missing. Please Reinstall.

Hi,

Please let us know the following information:

1. What is the version of McAfee installed in your computer?
2. Is it giving a Missing Components error or VirusScan or any other programs?
3. What is your Operating System – Windows Vista (or) XP?
Sezaic
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

My OS is Windows XP Professional. The types of things that are coming up are in the security center as red warnings mostly. They now say that 'realtime scanning is disabled, detection file signature is more than 30 days old, spyware, potentially unwanted programming scanning disabled, IM and scrip scanning are disabled and buffer overflow scanning disabled'. Before, it was more or less, only saying that my detection file signatures were more than 30 days old. It would try to update, and it just wouldn't install it. It would say it was installing 'McAfee Virus Scan', but it wouldn't do it. Also, how do I find what version I have? I go to the 'about' section, and it gives me Security Center 8.1, VirusScan 12.1, and Personal Firewall 9.1. I have reinstalled McAfee from the Comcast website several times, but this fixes nothing.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

Please clarify,

Did you receive any kind of alert/advertisements or pop-ups in the computer?
Please post the IP address that you get after ping the McAfee site (Start-Run-CMD-ping download.mcafee.com)

Steps:

Perform the McAfee Virtual Technician in both computer and post the session ID http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community