cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goldie99
Former Member
Message 1 of 1

Slow boot and real time scanning nightmares

Boot up is taking 4-5 minutes and VirusScan Plus 2010 struggles to load. Also with real time scanning enabled some interent pages are very slow to load - taking several minutes and often just lock up the pc. If I turn off real time scanning the internet problem disappears.

In Event Viewer I get a warning message about mfehidk. "The process **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid(4076) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a priveleged operation with a McAfee driver." The mfehidk warning appears every few seconds. Again if I turn off Real Time Scanning these warning messages do not occur.

I have tried the ususal - deleting all temp internet files/history/cookies etc and also deleted all Windows temp files - still have the problem.

I have contacted McAfee support and been advised to uninstall and reinstall VirusScan. I can't remember how many times this has been suggested, I have done, and again has made no difference.

I have VirusScan installed on 3 pc's. My 'work' pc with XP SP3, quad core processor and 6GB RAM does not appear to be so badly affected, but I do not use this pc for general internet. The pc I use for internet and general is XP SP3, single core Athlon and 2GB RAM. This pc is just about unusable  for internet because of the scanning problem. The netbook is even slower!

I know that others have had same/similar problems, has anyone been able to resolve this really annoying issue? I'm very close to unstalling VirusScan for the final time and using something else that doesn't make my pc unusable.

Please help.

Thanks

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community