Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kez
Contributor III
Message 1 of 4

Scheduled scan working properly - registry problem

Capture.JPG

I hope someone can advise me!

I have a scheduled scan set (weekly, same day, same time) which seems to start Ok, hangs at about the 500 file mark, then shows 98% and closes. My PC is Windows 7.

I have run MVT and it found 2 errors. It said it had fixed the problems, but when I ran it again, it showed that there is still a problem with the registry. I have run MVT several times and it says it is fixed, but on running it again (after restarting), the same problem shows.

I also have a problem with uploading Word documents to websites (job applications), and the Windows message  is 'Word could not create the work file'. According to the Microsoft website, that too is related to registry problems. All updates in Windows are installed (apart from the ones which makes installing Windows 10 easier) to date. This problem seems to occurred yesterday, as I was able to upload a Word file the day before.

I have no idea if the 2 issues are linked or related. I am very nervous about making the registry changes that Microsoft suggest. I now they have a note on how to back up registry files before making the changes, but it does say which file to back-up.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Scheduled scan working properly - registry problem

Real time scanning off I see that can be caused by another scanner active or another scanner not removed via its own removal tool.

I would

1 Remove Mcafee and reinstall it as per

Remove Mcafee and Reinstall

2. If no help call support they will help and the call is free.

Support

Re word docs I am unsure if it is Mcafee I would say no but see what the reinstall says

also this not your issue?

How to Fix Micorosoft Word Error "Word couldn't create the work file." - YouTube

kez
Contributor III
Message 3 of 4

Dear Peacekkeper

Many thanks for replying so quickly.

I will uninstall etc. and let you know if that works.

Curiously, I ran the MVT last night in the hope that it might work and it said an update was available and downloaded a DAT file (it hadn't done that before). Said it was fixed but when I ran it again this morning, the problem was still there. I had set it to start a scan this morning at 7am, and it started up. But it hung again, this time at file numbered 1645 'virus scan'.

Thanks also for the link to youtube for the windows problem.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

In navigation general settings and alerts settings set that to no tick ie scan when not idle. i do not feel that is the issue but it at least allows scans to start on time

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community