cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
texasjule
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Scheduled Scanning and Real time Scanning

The real time scanning and scheduled scanning make my computer so slow that I am unable to use it.  I have turned off the real time scanning but it will not allow me to turn of the scheduled scanning.   If I stop the scheduled scanning it immediately starts again and this is the same if it completes a scan, which takes about 5 hours.  I tried the "chat" from the McAfee site and it does not work.  I have emailed McAfee and have not heard from them.  I need this turned off.  If anyone can help me I would be very appreciative!

4 Replies
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: Scheduled Scanning and Real time Scanning

I've moved your post to our VirusScan area for Home Users. Hopefully a product expert can help you soon.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Hi ,
Could you please provide the following information so that we could help you with our best here;
What is the computer’s operating system ?
What is the RAM size of the computer ?
Do you have any other security software installed in the computer ?
Do we receive any anonymous pop ups in the computer ?

Regards,
Dinesh K

pstiff
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

5 hours to do a full scan? You are lucky!  Mine takes 8-10 hours if I let it run at night. I use to tell my family that McAfee was better than Norton but I am increasingly becoming scepticle.  I have had more sucess stories by manually running Anti-spyware with the Yahoo Toolbar and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) than with McAfee which is running full-time on my machine with "full realtime" protections and semi-nightly full scans. MSE found win32/alcan D, win32 alcan B, and win32/troxen!rts on this week. As I type, I am running their Windows Live free online scanner (http://safety.live.com) and it has detected something (unsure until it completes).  What is my McAfee software doing?! Other than using up resources and emptying my wallet once a year!

creiter1101
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Essentially if you disable both you have turned off the McAfee security suite.  That's why it keeps coming on when you launch the program.  One or the other should be on.  If you choose not to do this, then shut off the program, then turn it on at a regular interval and scan your machine.  You will get virus this way though. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community