cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GreenGourd
Former Member
Message 1 of 76

Scanning stops because of error getting scan progress

This has just started, sometime in the past week. I was able to complete a full scan when I last tried, six or seven days ago.

When McAfee is scanning, it suddenly stops, and I get this message: "Scanning has encountered a problem from which it cannot recover." The message specifies that the problem is "error getting scan progress." Before it stops, the scan seems to get slower, jerky even, and then it stops--always ending on a different file, but sometime before even 25% of the scanning is finished.

After I get the error message, I get a message from Windows saying that Scanning "stopped working and was closed."

I'm running Vista. Both it and McAfee's are up-to-date. There *was* a Windows Update this week....
75 Replies
grf7291
Contributor
Message 2 of 76

RE: Scanning stops because of error getting scan progress

i'm having the same problem too! its on my new laptop, only 2 weeks old, i think the problem began yesterday or the day before...my mcafee's symptoms are similar to yours, it just randomly stops and gives the same notifications that yours gives...its a hp hdx16t running windows vista home premium 64-bit
Billding
Former Member
Message 3 of 76

I am having this problem too. Just started this morning after getting the 5694 DAT version. If I boot in Safe mode I scan clean. However, if I am not in safe mode, the scanner will crash.

Mcafee Product information:
Viruscan 13.11
Build 13.11.102
Last Update: 7/31/2009
DAT Version: 5694.000
DAT Creation Date: 7/31/2009
Engine Version: 5301.4018

PC: Dell XPS M1730 Laptop - 3 months old

You are not alone on this one.

I check my event log and found I didnt have crashes with 5693.0000 DAT version. This could be a coincidence.

Error:
Exception in McShield.Exe!
Exception details follow :
VSCORE.14.0.0.430
Exception Code : 0X00000000C0000005
Exception Address : 0X0000000012166DE9
Exception Parameters : 2
Param 1 = 0000000000000000
Param 2 = 0X0000000000000001

More information :
ScanRequest : NTName is \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\final fantasy xi\FFXi.dll.

Anyone have any ideas?
davewilw8
Former Member
Message 4 of 76

For me, I noticed it yesterday when my weekly scan failed. It always fails on the Windows sidebar.exe file. I did get a couple of Vista updates this past week. I tried McAfee 'chat support' but the technician passed if off as a Microsoft problem. So I am just as puzzled.
Amerszzz
Former Member
Message 5 of 76

Same thing is happening to my computer

I have a XPS 435 system from dell. Its running vista premium 64bit. The mcafee worked until yesterday when I tried to scan and it will not complete the scan. It tells me error getting progress and another box pops up. This happens everythime I try to scan. The quick scan just worked but the full will not. I tried running it in safe mode but it failed there too. I have no idea what to do.
davewilw8
Former Member
Message 6 of 76

RE: Same thing is happening to my computer

Is it always the same file? I also have Vista 64 bit home premium.
Amerszzz
Former Member
Message 7 of 76

Yes, so I deleted that file. And it happened again on another file.
davewilw8
Former Member
Message 8 of 76

That suggests that this is a McAfee problem then.
Amerszzz
Former Member
Message 9 of 76

I hope so. Is it doing the same to your computer?
davewilw8
Former Member
Message 10 of 76

Yes, it always stop with the windows sidebar.exe file.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community