cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howdwil
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Scan stuck at 17%

I've seen this question regarding a scan getting stuck at a certain percentage and followed the tips but on this occassion they have not worked.

I'm running windows 10 and have had some successful scan but on this occassion it is totally stuck and showing the legend ROOTKIT, I've run a clean up, downloaded and ran the recommended patch and even ran a program to sort out all the broken bits but to no avail.

Any further advice please.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Scan stuck at 17%

Discussion moved from Community Interface Help to VirusScan

The word rootkit in this context means it's stuck at the stage where it is checking for rootkits.    Scans can take a long time, especially if there are many zipped or otherwise compressed files, or as could be the case, the hard drive is throwing up read - errors.   Is this a hard drive or a solid-state drive?

Probably best to stop the scan (will take a while to do that) and then run the Virtual Technician to see if the software is faulty. http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Run some independent scans using Malwarebytes Free and perhaps AdwCleaner (see 3rd party link in the last link below).

If all else fails then I would contact Technical Support for help, it's free by phone and also linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Intel True Key/PasswordBox Support (alter country at top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 5

Is this consumer as consumer has no patches that one can download? Just an idle thought

gelliot
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

VirusScan stops scanning at 98% or 99% complete

Try the above patch.  It worked for me.

Gelliott

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 5

Thanks forgot that 1 as the issue was fixed months ago and is included in all windows 10 compatible versions of Mcafee.

Worth a go though

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community