cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
betty01
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Scan pauses while watching movie in fullscreen

Everytime I want to have the virus scan going in the background while i'm watching a movie in fullscreen mode, the scan always pauses and won't resume until click resume. If I put the movie back on, it will pause again. I can't find a setting to change where it can run both?? I have plenty of space and memory for both to run at the same time... how do I change it to do both?

Thankyou in advance!
Tags (1)
8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

RE: Scan pauses while watching movie in fullscreen

This is by design as so many people complained about it not doing that in previous versions. However, if this is during a manual scan there is one setting that may make a difference.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (top left)
Click Advanced (right)
Click Custom Scan (left)
Uncheck "Scan Using Minimal Resources"
Then click Apply and OK.

But...be prepared for slow downs as then VirusScan will use all the resources it needs.
Kidd
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

I've just noticed this, It's a real pain!! :mad:

Kidd
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Well, either you want to play your games oir watch your movies without interruption, or you want VirusScan to do its thing. Priorities...! Have VirusScan do its scan when you are away from the machine.
Kidd
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

I don't play many games these days but I have a TV card and time scans when I'm not recording
progs. If the TV is left in full screen the scan doesn't start! It would be nice to have a choice, Spyware Doctor has just added a full screen mode, Why can't Mcafee do this. 🙂

Kidd
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

it has, that is exactly what is happening. VirusScan throttles back in favour of full screen mode things such as games and movies.

If that is using too many resources then VirusScan will go on hold until it finishes.

You can disable that mode but then everything will slow down when VirusScan is scanning.
Kidd
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

I think you missed my point, I DON'T want the scan to throttle back and you CAN'T disable that mode for a scheduled scan. 😞

Kidd
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Sorry I thought you wanted otherwise...my error. It was done that way because so many people complained about the way things were before before.

I'll put it forward on pur list of suggestions again.

Until such time, if ever, they reintroduce it for a scheduled scan I suggest doing manual scans not using minimal resources.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

In Security Center 9.3, which is the latest version, you can uncheck "Use Minimal Resources" in the Scheduled Scan section, that will cause VirusScan to run at full throttle. If it still doesn't then I've been severely misinformed.

If you haven't yet got 9.3 you will eventually as it is still in the process of being released.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community