Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fuzzy2
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Scan Panel won't open - Goes to Protection Status Panel

Hi,

I recently installed McAfee Total Protection (2009 version) and all was working well at first. The Virus Scan version is 13.3 Build 13.3.127, DAT version 5645.0000, DAT creation date 6/13/2009 Engine Version 5301.4018. I'm running Windows XP SP3 Build 2600 and IE 7.0 5730.11. I saw another forum entry referencing use of IERegFix.bat...but for use with IE6 only. That poster was asked whether they had MSXML installed. I have MSXML 4.0 SP2. I have MS Automatic Updates turned on and, as far as I know, all updates have been downloaded and installed.

I ran a quick scan initially then scheduled a full scan for that night. The scan ran, but the only way I can see any results at all is through the View Log/Detection feature in the Reports Panel. I can only run a manual scan, right clicking on the directory in Windows Explorer. I can't access the Scan Panel at all. When I click the Scan link from the Basic Menu, Advanced Menu, from the M icon in the system tray or from a completed manual scan from the system try icon, the resulting panel is the Protection Status Panel.

I've tried Virtual Technician and it found no issues. Is there a quick way to fix this?...or will I have to uninstall McAfee, clean-up remaining McAfee files manually and reinstall, as I've seen suggested for other issues in this forum?

Thanks for your help.
Labels (3)
Tags (1)
4 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

RE: Scan Panel won't open - Goes to Protection Status Panel

please download this
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/IEFix.zip

extract the files and run the iefix file inside it.
ignore any errors it might give

Download IEFix and run it.

Click the Apply button.

You'll be prompted for the Operating System CD or the Service Pack Files location:

If you're using Windows XP, insert the Operating System CD. For OEM systems, point to the Operating System source path when prompted. If you've applied a Service Pack separately, you need to insert the Slipstreamed Operating System CD (if you have one) or point the installer to the ServicePack source path when prompted . Mention the path as "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386" or "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles"

If you don't have the Windows installation CD, and if the installation source files are not present in the hard disk, you may click Cancel when you see a dialog . IEFix will continue with DLL registration part.

Restart Windows

Disclaimer
: This is a free software created by another user and is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied. The author,me or McAfee Inc will not be liable for any special, incidental, consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
Fuzzy2
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

IERegFix got Runtime Error

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I tried to run the IERegFix script, I got a runtime error.

I tried installing IE8. Didn't help.

I tried a complete removal of McAfee apps, clean-up of files (MCPR.exe and manual) then reinstalling from a fresh download. No luck there either. VT finds no errors.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Fuzzy2
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

It's Fixed!

I think I missed an opportunity on past visits. I had searched the forum for similar problems, but didn't find anything similar. It's probably just the way I worded the search and my lack of familiarity with McAfee (was running Norton 360 and got tired of my pc crawling everywhere!) I didn't realize that, when you open a thread to read it, there are "Similar Threads" listed at the bottom of that screen. To my surprise, I found a post with a title exactly matching the problem I was having. That thread suggested running IERegfix.bat, which is found here:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/IERegfix.bat

I downloaded and ran that file and it fixed the problem in a matter of a few minutes.

I don't know how IERegFix.BAT compares with the IEFix.BAT utility suggested earlier by Vinod. Maybe it would have worked too had I tried running it after I broke down and installed IE8 before my last post. I suppose if anyone is wondering whether IERegfix.BAT works for IE8, you now have one example of a real-life success story with that utility.

Thanks!
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

RE: It's Fixed!

Glad you are ok ..

Thanks for posting back with details

For any users having issues with Internet explorer you may try both or one of those tools in an attempt to repair it.. It can't harm the machine... ( they are almost the same happy ...)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community