cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alan789
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

RunDLL Window/Message

Recently McAfee stopped some software from infecting my computer.  However since then whenever I turn on my computer, windows title "RunDLL" open up stating "There was a problem starting....." .  Apparently the computer is looking for the virus which McAfee blocked.  How do I stop these windows form appearing.

6 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: RunDLL Window/Message

Hi alan789,

To have a clear picture of your issue, kindly take a Screen shot at the stage when the RUNDLL error appears.

(To take a screen shot:  Push the “Prt Scr” (Print screen) button once on the top right of your key board > open Ms Paint > go to edit on the top and select paste > save the file and attach to the post)

alan789
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

I've inserted images of all three windows:

RunDLL B.jpg

RunDLL A.jpgRunDLL C.jpg

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

The file in the first of those screenshots sounds familiar but I can't find where I saw it before. No matter : the second one gives the game away. "er_00_0_l.exe" is a file associated with the current round of "Police Trojan" ransomware attacks. So McAfee has blocked the Trojan, but missed whatever is trying to start the malware running.

Someone else had exactly this problem and asked about it on the Microsoft Windows 7 forums. If you haven't got Windows 7 some of the directory paths might be a bit different but you'll find how to remove these pop-ups in the answers to the question there.

See the thread at Microsoft Answers HERE

The file was also noted on SystemExplorer.net -

http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/er_00_0_l-exe

Message was edited by: Hayton on 06/09/12 02:04:32 IST
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Hi alan789,

From your screen shots I can see those files were not present on your PC. These files are getting loaded only during the windows startup.

So, kindly use the MSCONFIG Startup Utility as shown and disable these files (tuiapi.dll, er_00_0_l.exe, pcetmi.dll) by deselecting them and select OK.

(MSCONFIG Startup Utility it allows you to quickly disable and prevent an application from starting when Windows starts. This is the tab that used to isolate potentially problematic startup programs, or to quickly streamline a system by removing unneeded applications from running.)

Windows ORB.bmp

MSCONFIG.bmp

Message was edited by: JaiPrakash on 6/9/12 3:05:12 AM CDT
alan789
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Using MSCONFIG I was able to get rid of the two of the RUNDLL windows.  However the window for er_00_0_I.exe still appears.  The files for the other two windows were listed, but er_00_I.exe was not.

Alan

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Autoruns will help you. See the discussion on Microsoft Answers (link is in my previous reply).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community