cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
outfox
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

Rosetta Stone Trojan?

I am using a purchased Rosetta Stone Language (Spanish - Latin America) and McAfee says that one of the files is a trojan. Now, I'm fairly certain that it isn't and I've sent it on to McAfee. But in the mean time I would like to whitelist this program or permanently restore the file so that I can get on with my life. I can't seem to find a way to do this and all posts here say to send the file in - which I find rather condescending to me as a customer. If I want to run a program on my computer I really feel that I should be able to over-ride the McAfee software that I purchased. Anyway... does anyone know of a way to get around the McAfee program? Besides turning it totally off which I have currently done? Otherwise I guess I'm in the market for new virus protection from another company... any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help!
Tags (2)
18 Replies
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

RE: Rosetta Stone Trojan?

You can always check elsewhere if the file is a trojan.

But I guess it probably isn't.

It is said that McAfee does not allow whitelisting or exclusion of files for scanning, except for enterprise products. If McAfee concludes that the sample you sent them is a false positive, they can provide you with an extra.dat or something like that, in which case the false positive will not occur again.

I have SecurityCenter 9.3, and I don't know if this works in an earlier version: (please keep in mind that my software isn't in English so I'll translate as best as I can): doubleclick on the SecurityCenter, advanced menu, configure in the left pane, computer and files, advanced tab of (anti)virusprotection, list with trusted items, and there you can add a trusted program. (I have never used that option.)

Another AV ? There are plently, the website www.av-comparatives.org can give you some information, but remember it's always best to trial a product before buying.
dudewad1
Former Member
Message 3 of 19

I am receiving a trojan error as well but with the Russian Level 2 language pack. I made it through level 1 and 3/4 of level 2 without error, but McAfee recently auto-updated and the trojan appeared. I believe it is due to a new, but incorrect, virus definition file. I emailed Rosetta Stone support and they instructed me to uninstall and reinstall the language pack. Do not do this! I cannot reinstall it now. At least, with the error, I was able to work through some of the lessons, periodically encountering an error. But now I do not have the language pack at all! I hope McAfee fixes this false positive soon because I'm out of luck otherwise!
outfox
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

I put the "trojan" file back - restored it with McAfee - then I turned off McAfee and I was able to reinstall the language pack. (I got an error when I uninstalled but with the restored file it allowed me to install again.) Then I kept McAfee turned off and used my Rosetta Stone. This is crazy that we don't have the ability to run whatever programs we want on our own computers. And thank you to the person who posted the link to other virus program information. I don't think I want to be a McAfee prisoner anymore! And I won't even get into the nasty treatment I got from McAfee a few years back when I was the first to try to turn in a very powerful virus...

PS Good luck getting your Russian up and running again. With the money that Rosetta Stone costs it should install itself and be impervious to all other programs! happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 19

While McAfee is disabled you should submit the file(s) that were being wrongly detected to McAfee Avert Laboratories for analysis. That way they can stop the detection.
If they reply that it is an infection reply immediately, keeping the headers intact, disputing it and hopefully they'll agree and send you an extra.dat or include it in the next update.

Send the file to Avert for analysis:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
or
https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
or
Email file to: [EMAIL="virus_research@avertlabs.com"]virus_research@avertlabs.com
When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.
outfox
Former Member
Message 6 of 19

Hopefully sending it to McAfee inside the Virus Scan program will suffice....
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 19

Hopefully because Rosetta Stone is well known and has a huge reputation. Good luck!
dudewad1
Former Member
Message 8 of 19

Thanks for the tips Ex_Brit and outfox! I've got Rosetta Stone working again by disabling McAfee (pain the neck and frustrating solution... what am I paying for now?) and I've sent the files to McAfee. Hopefully they'll get this cleared up soon. I hate working unprotected.
Devdog
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

What is mcafee's solution, does anyone know? Just bought brand newcomp with 3 years of mcafee. Looks like i'm going to have to send back and get a diff comp without mcafee. Really don't want that hassle, but I need rosetta stone and a secure computer! Please help.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 19

I already posted the solution in post #5 - if the lab doesn't know about a false detection it will never be taken care of.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community