cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 25

Re: Right Click Custom File Scan Failure

It is fast scanned a folder of 2260 files and 2 detected as scannable files in 15 secs if I rescan folder it does not scan as remembers already scanned. 

topfellah
Former Member
Message 12 of 25

Not sure if this is a similar problem  - I bought McAfee Total Protect last month. And I notice that when I right click on a folder and scan, it just says 0 items scanned and 0 items found. Now the interesting part is that when I scan some folders it scans alright and reports the right number of files scanned; while on many other folders it consistently reports 0 items scanned though there are a number of files. An example of a folder it scanned alright contained pdf files. An example of a folder it didn't contained media files or text files.

Appreciate any pointer.

mitchebu
Contributor
Message 13 of 25

Same problem. For some reason I thought I would buy a new McAfee product (LiveSafe now) and, 24-hours later, I see that it isn't me. At least I know that giving McAfee more money doesn't mean the quality of the product gets better!

McAfee, any fix?

theorem
Contributor
Message 14 of 25

If...

1. If  Real-Time scanning is active and automatically scans a freshly downloaded file on completion of the download or scans any file on access and...

2. Logs the scan for the file and...

3. Does not re-scan previously logged unmodified files if maybe it is Stateful and...

4. Custom scans do the same thing...

Then McAfee should explicitly describe this activity in the product app window, but it doesn't, and I'm not aware of a  "Stateful" option, if it's not Stateful then I don't believe it supposed to work that way, as the only "safe" procedure is to scan on access for Real-Time and explicitly for custom, it's impossible to be sure of file interference otherwise... Last this issue recurs, certainly for zip files, even after an update which is hardly Stateful. Where as a pdf repeatedly scanned seems to report correctly, and hopefully is actually scanned? So as far I can see this is a bug, maybe just a zip bug or worse, who knows?! Which it would be nice if someone from McAfee would confirm!

Peacekeeper
Message 15 of 25

It only counts files that are able to be infected PDFs supposedly not able but better we wait till Aug 1 update and see what the new version shows.

theorem
Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Fair enough but, it scans ".jar" files which are just a zips of another color, so on the face of it, it's a "zip" bug & yes the "lingering icon tag", disappears on "Done" but not an an "info window" close event, so I must have just closed the window for that to happen. Last I assume the scannable extensions are the same as the default for the Enterprise editions of VirusScan, and are non-configurable in LiveSafe?

Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 25

When we asked about the extensions tested we were told that is not for public release. Re enterprise unsure do not use it. See what August brings.

theorem
Contributor
Message 18 of 25

First many thanks for your all your responses, but I do feel that there's no good reason that McAfee can't provide it's customers a list of the extensions that LiveSafe actually scans, this is not good customer relations, particularly since this is an Intel-owned company, and all that, that brand name entails... It's a question of integrity, which too many products and services fail to provide with any abundance or at  the very least consistency in these times. August then... Roger & out...

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 25

Not Intel owned in Majority any more. There was a list and it was published but later on removed when asked it was said that it was removed for security reasons they must have evidence this is necessary.  Easy to work out watch the scan  and count any file type that show. Well not so easy.

topfellah
Former Member
Message 20 of 25

Thanks for the comments - I will wait for the update.  I bought mine from a brick-and-mortar store, so I would think that the version was atleast a few months old ( though 2017 ). But then again, it downloads updates etc, so the bug may have been passed on through updates (perhaps. but that's not a serious concern ).

I would like to know if it *is* scanning and verifying alright but just that it prints the stats wrong ( which would be temporarily ok, not totally but still ). If this is a bug can someone confirm the nature of the bug. I see that the on-demand scan takes time proportional to the data in the folder - more time for bigger folders and less for smaller ( so probably it means that it is doing something worthwhile ) but still reports 0 at the end of it.

Hoping we get an answer or a comment that comforts some frayed nerves

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community