Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 23

RE: Renewed - but not exactly...!!

Maybe they'll give you a nice discount for pointing out the discrepancies....yes I know, I'm dreaming.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 22 of 23

Solution (with discount)...

I called them this morning to sort it out. Initially, they said it made no difference - "McAfee VirusScan Plus" was the same as "3-User McAfee VirusScan Plus". But I explained this wasn't the case. "3-User McAfee VirusScan Plus" is what I already have installed, and that's due to expire. Purchasing a new copy of "McAfee VirusScan Plus" doesn't make any difference to the original installation, because it's not actually renewing my existing product, it's putting an identical one alongside it. My computer doesn't know that it's there - it's only interested in looking for the date on the "3-User McAfee VirusScan".

They wanted to merge my subscriptions together to give me one "McAfee VirusScan Plus" - but this wouldn't work - because, again, my computers are looking for the validation of "3-User McAfee VirusScan Plus". The only way to get it to tally would be to uninstall/reinstall MAV with the new subscription. And you all know just how much I *hate* uninstalling/reinstalling when I don't need to, and it's not my fault...(!).

So, because I'd discovered that in order to get the product to renew, I needed to purchase precisely "3-User McAfee VirusScan Plus", I asked for a refund on my £44.99 purchase of "McAfee VirusScan Plus"...

...and the nice Tier 2 chap gave me a discount to purchase/renew my 3-User product for £35.99. It appears that this is not specific to me (ie. a promo code) - but it's just freely visible on their promo website (http://www.mcafee-downloads.co.uk/virus-scan-plus.htm) - which links back into the uk.mcafee.com shopping basket when you pick what you want.

So I've made the purchase and it's now renewed my product successfully, extending the expiration date by another year. <phew!>

Bottom line is: "3-User MV+" is not the same as "MV+ (with an additional 2 licences)". It's the same product on the computer. But not on McAfee's shop shelf.

Incidentally, you can get MV+ (with additional 2 licences) for £29.99 via the refund-promo page (McAfee trying to get refunded customers to come back). But it means uninstalling/reinstalling for me - not worth the £6 discount for all the time/effort/annoyance in recustomisation.

Hope this makes sense and might be useful to folks...

I wish to God tho' that they'd sort out the link. There must be others in the same situation as me who won't have realised the discrepancy.

Cheers,
Goph.

PS. Incidentally, my MAV pulled down a new version today on autoupdate. Dunno if it was a caveat of the above, or the mess-up in my account, or a new version push. But I got some of the apps down again, which were installed on auto-update (restart required). But all my settings are preserved, which is good.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 23

RE: Solution (with discount)...

Well I'm glad you sorted it out but sorry you had to go through such a rigmarole to get there.

At least you got a deal out of it such as it was.

Dare I mark this solved?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community