cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taz1961
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Removal of PUP's

Unable to remove PUP's from quarantine. Tried safe mode and cant find C:\Documents and Settings\ All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine   can anyone help

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Removal of PUP's

First double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts (left)

Click Access Protection to expand that section

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

To see the folder you will have to go to any Windows Explorer (internal) page (example: My Computer) and go to Tools/Folder Options/View and check 'Show hidden files and folders' and click Apply and OK.

Close and reopen Windows Explorer for that to take effect.

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

If you are using XP so the path is different from what I posted above

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine

Don't forget to delete only the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Hint to make it quick click the Edit button and then "Select All"

Then right click any of the shaded area and click Shift and Delete simultaneously.

OK any prompts and although it may take some time it will eventually delete them all completely, bypassing the Recycle Bin.

Some may not go so you may have to experiment with blocks of a fewer amount but if you disable Access Protection first they should all be deletable at once..

That should stop the endless spinning when you try to open that section of SecurityCenter.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Unless you want to check Quarantined and Trusted Items again to see if that has improved matters of course.

By the way the vast majority of items that end up there are simple cookies and you may wish to tell VirusScan to ignore those in future.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Scanning

Go down and uncheck the Tracking Cookies.

Click Apply.

It's optional of course.

I hope you understand this as I was copying and pasting bits of it from other threads I had posted in, sorry. 😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/08/11 5:13:48 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: Removal of PUP's

Amended post to make it a little clearer, hope it worked.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community