cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lennynufc
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Real time scanning will not stay on - Help needed

A few days ago when I was on the internet a message was displayed from Mcafee to confirm a trojan virus had been detected and removed. After this had been displayed a few times, the real time scanning turned itself off and will now not stay on. I ran Malwarebytes and deleted a trojan.lameshield but this has not fixed the problem. I have reinstalled Mcafee two times and when I do this I can scan however as soon as the computer is reset the same problem with real time scanning occurs. This may point towards a problem or virus that has affected the registry.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

9 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Real time scanning will not stay on - Help needed

Moved from Consumer Help section to VirusScan for attention

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 10

lennynufc
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

I have tried all of those options, I did this a couple of days after the problem started. Like I say, when I re-install Mcafee it is fine until I restart the computer and then real time scanning goes back to being off. When I run the MVT it finds 7 problems but can't fix them.

The problems that it finds are:-

VirusScan - Mcafee Total Protection 15.0.302

Problem: ()

Problem: Missing files (3)

Pending: DAT out of date

SiteAdvisor 3.4.195

Missing files (1)

Personal Firewall - Mcafee Total Protection 12.0.355

Missing files (1)

After running MVT, when I click on search our knowledge base, it just opens a window to my C:

Anymore help would be appreciated

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 10

1. Try stinger and getsusp to see if they find anything. With getsusp add your email addy to the preferences.

2. When you reinstalled did you follow as per

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall Mcafee.

See if that helps

ventriloquist
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Is this one still running?  It's been going for more than a year to my knowledge.

Internet Security Suite version 11 on my somewaht old XP machine became impossible.  Not only did it turn off constantly, but it caused everything to hang.  Clearly, my machine can no longer cope with the application.

A complete uninstall, including running mcpr.exe and a new install did not fix.

I have decided to use Microsoft Security Essentials.  Seems OK, machine back to a useable state and it's free and simple.  A bit less automation, which does not wory me.  McAfee have lost me as a customer.  I shall not be renewing my licences in December and shall move my wife's laptop to MSE as well.

McAfee lost me as a corporate customer some years ago when they ditched the simpler Protection Pilot and wanted  everyone to go to fiendishly complicated E-Policy Orchestrator to control their server and client AV.  I'm sorry to say, in my experience, McAfee are a big company that does not seem to care about small customers.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 10

By running you mean same issue In some ways this caused by trojans messing up with Mcafee setting possibly.

Re XP Pc was that a single core processor ie an old CPU low P4 or so?

Uninstall should have fixed anything Mcafee related.

Just my thoughts

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/06/12 6:51:09 AM
lennynufc
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for you help but I have put it into be fixed at a shop. It affects any anti virus software because I downloaded AVG for free just to see what would happen and it blocked the scanning on that too. I have tried to fix it myself but this time it seems to be a bit more complex.

Thanks again for your suggestions

ventriloquist
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Yes, Tony, this issue of real time scanning turning off is not new.  I accept McAfee cannot be responsible for the local environment, but many people seem to have had this problem for, it appears, many different reasons.

My machine is indeed P4 and clearly cannot cope with the application.  I don't intend to upgrade my hardware, which does all I want, to stick with a particular AV package.

Lennynufc:  Scareware has got through McAfee twice for me.  It was particularly unpleasant on a Vista laptop.  The only cure I found was ComboFix.  ComboFix seems fairly brutal, but it worked for me where Malwarebytes hadn't.  The problem with some malware that gets through is that it disables the AV, so a strong purgative appears to be required.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 10

Re the issue with the P4 Mcafee has tested a PC in their lab and reproduced the issue. This was not able to be done before so the issue is now with the developers.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community