cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gene
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Real time scanning seriously impacts file operations

Real time scanning slows some file operations in a major way.

For instance, I regularly backup my system to a 2 TB external drive using Retrospect. The external drive is connected via a USB3 port. Throughput to the external drive normally averages less than 150 MB per minute, which is very slow. But if I disable Real Time scanning, throughput jumps to 3 GB per minute or higher.

I consider that a major problem. When Real Time Scanning is off, a backup completes in a small fraction of the time needed when Real Time Scanning is active.

12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: Real time scanning seriously impacts file operations

I would assume the software is monitoring the data as it transfers but it shouldn't slow things down like that.

See if playing with the settings helps.  Open SecurityCenter and then under Virus and Spyware Protection > Real-Time Scanning - Settings

If not then I suggest opening a case with Technical Support.  It's free by phone.

Contact Support

If at first they can't help you can escalate the case to a higher level, just call them back if necessary..

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 13

You may also want to consider running the McAfee Virtual Technician  to scan your software for any problems. If MVT finds any problems it will attempt to fix them. If no luck then try Technical Support as Ex Brit has already suggested to you.

Tom K3TG

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

Good idea Tom, thanks.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 13

You can obtain the Link to the McAfee Virtual Technician with-in the 'Contact Support' link Colleague Ex_Brit inserted.

Or  http://mvt.mcafee.com

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Gene
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions, but this has been a ongoing problem for several years, from XP to 7 and now 10. I've lived with it because progressive backups don't usually take more that a couple of hours even with the slow throughput, but I've tried periodically to find a fix. For instance, I changed the backup drive from eSATA to USB3, but that had no effect. Watching the backups I noticed that when Retrospect is copying a large files of several hundred MBs, the throughput increases. When it's copying many small files, which is normally the case, the throughput is slow. That's what led me to test real time scanning, and sure enough that was the culprit. No apps are running during backups, so that's not the problem.

My past experience with technical support has been a pain, although that was several years ago. In any case, turning off real time scanning during backups is easy to do. To be honest, I'm quite knowledgeable about computers and I don't trust something like a virtual technician that's going to make changes to my machine.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 13

MVT only makes changes to the McAfee/Intel software if it finds faults, it doesn't alter your machine in any way.

No harm in trying it to be honest.

Just out of interest, what version of Retrospect is this?   (I used to use it myself without problems).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 13

BTW question:  Have you actually run a complete scan of the system ever?  McAfee now ignores files that have already been scanned unless they've been altered so theoretically once the machine is scanned, subsequent scanning should have minimal effect.

Also if you are running any registry cleaners, stop as they are invariably the cause of many of the issues we see here.

If that isn't happening then Technical Support should know and the case should be escalated to a higher level (which is your prerogative at any time you feel the current level isn't helping so ask for that) as maybe there is a design flaw they need to look at.  Only logs can help them with that.

It's free of charge:  Contact Support

sivasubramanian
Message 9 of 13

Whenever the Real Time Scanning is turned on, it will scan the files on real time i.e., on any changes to the files including during upload and download as well.  In your case whenever the files which has been copied from one device to another device, McAfee checks at both the end and this is the reason fro delay in copying the data. Try the below settings to improve the speed while copying the data between the devices.

Open Security Centre and then under Virus and Spyware Protection >> Real-Time Scanning - Settings >> Select  Programs and documents only instead of All files (Recommended)

rts settings.jpg

2) Virus and Spyware Protection >> Real-Time Scanning - Settings >> Uncheck Use Active Protection for live defense against threats under Boost my Protection

rts settings1.jpg

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 13

@Gene

I second suggestion. However while changing these RTS settings the Key is to strike a balance between  performance and security.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community