cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 34

Re: Real-Time Scanning slowing down Windows Startup, resetting my McAfee startup settings

The third option is not universally released yet...only available to certain people in certain areas and will eventually be distributed to all.

Manoj is McAfee staff, as yet unbadged, and will help you in this thread.

romank
Contributor
Message 12 of 34

Re: Real-Time Scanning slowing down Windows Startup, resetting my McAfee startup settings

Hello,

I have the same issue. Recently my computer has been starting really slow after several updates in MCafee Security Center. I messed around in the settings and found that there is an option under Real Time Scanning, Startup Settings tab with 3 options to choose from.

"Check for all known threats after startup, fastest startup time."

"Check for the most common threats during startup, for a fast startup time."

"Check for all known threats during startup, for regular startup time."

When i chose the first one, the fastest one it automatically switches it back to the second one and makes my computer start slow again. Is there a fix for this? Pleas help me out.

Here is an immage Capture.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 34

It's best to check with Technical Support directly in that case.  It's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

user_118535
Former Member
Message 14 of 34

Hey Guys... Nothing to worry about the missing option. Its perfectly fine to have only 2 options.

Your machine is secured with the options that you have.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 15 of 34

Romank, may I know what OS you're using? Is it Windows 7 too? It's good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Manoj, can you please be so kind to follow up our case? Why is RTS slowing down startup recently? You can read my first post for my PC specs. Also, as with Romank, RTS startup settings will revert back to default 2nd choice (refer to romank's pic) after some time using the computer. The setting just will not stay. I'm sure you can easily test this out to know I'm speaking the truth and our concerns are valid (regarding RTS slowing down Windows startup).

Thanks!

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 16 of 34

Anyway, Romank, my temporary fix for now is to check and redo the RTS Startup settings to "fastest" every time before I shut down the computer. It's a bit annoying, but it ensures a smooth and fast startup the next time I turn on my rig.

romank
Contributor
Message 17 of 34

Deathstalker,

I have fixed my problem. I got in touch with the technical support and we did a bunch of things however first 2 times it did no solve the problem...What you need to do is to download mcafee removal tool and unistall the software. that was the 3rd option we did. it wipes everything including registry entries...after that just do a fresh install and you should be fine. i hope that helps . if you need guidance i suggest contacting techinical support and have them help you out. i stayed on the phone with them and they took remote control of my comp while i watched and we unistalled and reinstalled everthing and it seems the issue went away and my start ups are really fast with the first option selected in the RTS. Their support was really good and i like their products and im going to continue using McAfee.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 18 of 34

Hmm...so the update did broke something and we have to reinstall McAfee Security Center? I'll give it a try then.

Anyways, Romank, just to reconfirm, what you did was REMOVE McAfee Security Center via McAfee Removal Tool, then restart and redownload and reinstall McAfee again from the online account, right?

Also, you still have 3 options for RTS Startup, correct? And, the 1st option will STAY this time after a fresh install?

Thanks in advance for your confirmations.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 34

Before using the removal tool, always uninstall the normal way, via Control Panel first, otherwise the account wont be adjusted up by 1 license.   Of course in some cases it's not always possible to do that so a call to Customer Service would have to be made to adjust the account.

The update didn't cause issues for the vast majority, only some, why we don't know, only Technical Support would know that.

Those 3 options in RTS Startup are not universally available yet, they were released in certain sales areas only to see how they went.   They will be available to all eventually I assume.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 20 of 34

So McAfee techs knew this issue already, Ex_Brit? If they already knew and is now trying to formulate a fix, I'd rather wait for a new patch than reinstalling. The last time reinstalling McAfee caused me too many bitter memories, RTS stopped working randomly, RTS auto switching on and off, McAfee crashing for no reason and such. Better not risk it. I can still put up with changing the startup settings every time I shut down the computer.

What I hope to know is that someone can tell me for sure that McAfee is working on this. It's actually TWO issues as I've stated, 1) RTS caused a significant slowdown of Windows startup, and 2) There's a workaround, that is to select "fastest startup" in RTS startup settings, but the changes will not STAY and McAfee will revert back to default again sometime soon.

Thanks again for the advice, Ex_Brit.

PS: Romank, I'm still keen to have your confirmation to my doubts so I can make a better decision when worse comes to worst.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community