cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 34

Re: Real-Time Scanning slowing down Windows Startup, resetting my McAfee startup settings

I assume so, but like most problems in these forums, it isn't widespread otherwise we Mods would also be experiencing it and the other several hundred million people would be posting here, so really the best way to get a speedy solution is to escalate the matter through Technical Support.   That fastest startup option isn't a workaround, it's an additional feature that is being rolled out very slowly.  Personally I don't see any Startup issues on any of my 3 OS's and I don't have that option yet.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/13 8:39:19 EST AM
romank
Contributor
Message 22 of 34

Re: Real-Time Scanning slowing down Windows Startup, resetting my McAfee startup settings

Deathstalker,

Correct to all the statements

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 34

The Mods (us) have made sure they are aware of it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 34

The VirusScan team are reviewing this.  We think, but aren't sure, that this 3rd RTS Startup Settings choice is a feature that perhaps got switched on prematurely and actually isn't fully functional yet, but that is only a theory.  It's being checked out.   I or one of the other support people will post back as soon as I hear something.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/13 4:21:55 EST PM
romank
Contributor
Message 25 of 34

The issue is back. Mcafee RTS changes the setting back to the middle one. Please have your technical support look at this and roll out an update that fixes it. It's really annoying have to deal with this...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 34

I haven't heard anything back so it may a good idea for you to open a case with Technical Support.

romank
Contributor
Message 27 of 34

So any info on this problem? It keeps switching my setting back to the second option. and my comupter keeps starting slowly...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 34

Did you follow my suggestion to contact Technical Support?   I haven't heard anything here, sorry.

pwaldron
Former Member
Message 29 of 34

This thread has been very helpful to me.

Paraphrasing Wikipedia, a computer virus replicates by inserting copies of itself into other computer programs and performs harmful activity, such as stealing CPU time.  I frequently backup about 40GB of data immediately after rebooting my computer and before running any other programs.  I recently noticed that this was taking much longer than usual, so began to suspect that a virus was stealing my CPU time.

When I investigated, I discovered that on 9 December 2013, a new version of McAfee Security Center (Version 12.8 Build 12.8.856 Affid 105-595 Language en-gb) had inserted itself into my operating system (Windows 7 Professional) and has indeed been stealing my CPU time.

If your PC is infected with this McAfee [Anti-?]virus and you wish to remove it, then left-click >> on the taskbar, right-click the M shield symbol, select Change settings from the pop-up menu and then Real-time scanning from the submenu.  Select Settings in the window which opens, and left-click the scroll bar which appears in order to scroll down to the last group of hidden options.  Then select `Minimize the effect on my PC's speed, even though the scan is less thorough' and select `Apply'.

My penultimate backup took 82:26 to run; my most recent backup after I fixed this problem took 50:37.  I calculate from these figures that McAfee has been stealing 39% of my CPU time over the past four weeks or so, at least while I've been running backups.  The percentage may have been smaller while I've been running other tasks, but it has certainly slowed everything down.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 34

If you need any help Technical Support are there and it's free by phone or online chat.  See the link under Useful Links at the top of the page.

There is a modification to those startup settings in the works that will allow the startup scan to be turned off completely.   Date of release unknown.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community