cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 1 of 34

Real-Time Scanning slowing down Windows Startup, resetting my McAfee startup settings

Recently, I think since last week, my Windows started to experience significantly slower startups. After some investigation, I've now traced this problem to McAfee Real-Time Scanning. After changing the settings in Virus and Spyware Protection > Real-Time Scanning > Startup Settings, from the default "Check for the most common threats during startup, for a fast startup time." to "Check for all known threats after startup, for the fastest startup time.", I can again have a fast Windows startup that I've long enjoyed since the day I bought this computer.

I am using Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit with all latest updates applied

I've ruled out hardware performance issues as my machine has 8Gb of RAM, Core i7 CPU @1.73GHz and more than 300GB of free space.

Also, I need to point out that this happened out of the blue with no major software changes to my computer before and after. No new programs were installed, no modifications were done either, no major software updates (except McAfee I guess) and no hardware changes.

I thought I can just modify the settings and leave it be, but no, McAfee had to reset the settings back to default after some time, which is a very naughty and virus-like behaviour. So now, I have to change the RTS settings every time I shut down the computer to ensure I have a fast startup next time, which is kind of annoying. I've ran several tests for malware and viruses and everything shows up clean.

I suspect an update to McAfee caused the longer than usual startup for Windows behaviour. Also, is this by design that McAfee RTS resets its settings? I noticed that it does not reset settings right away after a new reboot, not even after autoupdating or me forcing an update scan, but rather randomly and quietly/secretly after some time using the computer. But it eventually will reset the settings to default (the setting in question here is the Startup settings ONLY). I've known of this behaviour since McAfee changed its layout to the current one, which is quite a long time ago, but I ignored it since it did not affect me in the past. But now, if RTS is going to slowdown my startup, I really want the Startup settings I MODIFIED to STAY.

I hope the techs and mods can help me escalate this to the highest support. I am also tired of opening a ticket and running the usual diagnostics or even allowing McAfee techs to take control of my machine. I believe anyone with McAfee SC installed can just test it and will know that the changes to Startup settings CANNOT stay as it will just revert back to default sometime soon.

So, in a nutshell, I have TWO things to report here:

1) McAfee RTS slowing down Windows startup significantly or taking a longer time to load.

2) Changes to McAfee RTS startup settings cannot stay for long. (This is a very old problem which many ignored)

My McAfee SC

Version: 12.8

Build: 12.8.856

Last update: 19 Oct 2013

McAfee AV and AS

Version: 16.8

Build: 16.8.708

Last update: 5 Nov 2013

Engine version: 1699.0

Engine creation date: 4 Nov 2013

Thanks in advance to anyone who would help out. Seriously, McAfee needs to take a serious look at how RTS is behaving as I've had TWO major disappointments with RTS since. One has since being solved, of which RTS consumed too much CPU resources when running games through Steam, and now this.

33 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 34

Re: Real-Time Scanning slowing down Windows Startup, resetting my McAfee startup settings

Where are you seeing "Check for all known threats after startup, for the fastest startup time" - I don't see it in my 12.8 and my versions are exactly the same as yours.

Are you running the retail software or Beta?

Click picture to magnify if you need to:

Capture.JPG

If you are still seeing slow startup then maybe there are things that are being scanned at each startup that do not need to be.   For instance, are you in the habit of storing 100's of emails in your Inbox instead of creating sub-folders to store them in?  They will be scanned over and over again..   Do you have things plugged in that don't need to be - thumb drives and the like?

Have you run MSCONFIG to look at the Startup tab and unchecked items you don't need?   (Do not disable any McAfee ones).

In your up to date 7 is IE also up to date?   (The McAfee UI uses IE regardless of your choice of browser).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/11/13 1:43:14 EST PM
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 3 of 34

Re: Real-Time Scanning slowing down Windows Startup, resetting my McAfee startup settings

Nope, mine has THREE choices to choose from. "Check for all known threats after startup, for the fastest startup time" is actually the first choice. I downloaded mine from my McAfee account after a reformat a few months ago, around July, so this should be the retail?

I use only web-based emails, so it shouldn't be a problem. My startup tab is just like the day when I first got this computer, nothing new added or taken away, so I'd like to stay that way. My IE is the latest IE 10. I hear IE 11 is out, but I'm not keen to use that.

If yours has only 2 options to choose from, then something is definitely wrong, which may explain why McAfee always reverts back to the default. Perhaps the techs forgot that there's a third fastest option?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 34

Nothing wrong as it always was just the 2 choices but it would indicate to me that there's a feature being added that we are unware of and maybe it's been introduced in your market area first.

If so that's good I look forward to seeing that choice.

I will ask on our next conference call with McAfee staff on Monday.

If you have any further issue I would contact Technical Support directly as they are best equipeed to help.  It's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/11/13 5:16:06 EST AM
user_118535
Former Member
Message 5 of 34

Hello,

Its Okay to have 3 options in the UI for Real-Time Scanning Start-Up setting.

And regarding the options:

1. Check for all known threats after startup, for the fastest startup time.

2. Check for most common threats for fast start-up time.

3. Check for all known threats for regular start-up time.

Option 1 gives fastest startup while Option 3 gives maximum security.

Choose whichever is fine for you and click APPLY button. Next time when the machine is restarted, you can see that the option is applied. Once it is done, McAfee will not change the setting.

Capture.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 34

Yes, I was simply wondering why my version, exactly the same number as the poster, only has 2 options.

I would assume it's only been released to certain Affid's and will eventually be universally distributed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/11/13 7:26:58 EST AM
user_118535
Former Member
Message 7 of 34

@Ex_Brit,

Correct assumption. The additional option is for certain Affids. However, I do not know about this going for everybody.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 34

Thanks Manoj 😉

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 9 of 34

Hmm, this is weird. I've had this 3rd option since July. As I've said, I download the whole program from my online account due to a reformat. It's a fresh install. Also, the option I chose just would not stay. Every time I picked the fastest startup option, it'll revert back to the 2nd option some time later. I do not know when McAfee reverts the options back, but it does it every time as I always check the RTS Startup Settings every time before I shut down the computer.

Perhaps the dev or tech teams might want to investigate further. Those with 3 options, try choosing the 1st one, fastest startup, use your computer as usual for some time, check again before shutting down. McAfee would've reverted the settings back to default. But as far as I can tell, McAfee only reverts the RTS Startup settings back to default once every session.

Ex_Brit, maybe you can help me bring this to the dev's attention. Perhaps you can request to test out this 3rd option which is new to you. The option works, as I can notice a much faster startup, but then again, it's annoying when McAfee always reverts back the settings without my authorisation and knowledge. Also, I'm still at a loss why RTS is causing a longer delay to my startup when I choose the default setting for RTS startup. I wouldn't have to deal with the auto-reverting-to-default-setting issue if RTS doesn't slow down my Windows startup so much in the first place.

Ex_Brit, can I count on you to bring this to their attention as in previous times? I'm in no hurry to have a fix since this is not a breaking issue, it's just annoying. And as you mentioned, many people may not have this 3rd option, which may explain its bugginess due to lack of testing. TWO issues here: 1) RTS causing a significantly longer delay to my Windows startup, which I suspect is caused by a recent update. 2) RTS Startup setting for "fastest startup" option cannot stay and will be reverted back to default after some time using the computer.

stray-cat
Former Member
Message 10 of 34

Just for your information, I have Internet Security 2014 build 12.8.856 installed on my computer and it has just the two options, never seen a third one. This isn't an issue for me but I do find it strange that there seem to be different versions of the same product out there. This is what causes confusion when someone has a question and others in the forum trying to help have a different software setup.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community