cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ciaran036
Former Member
Message 11 of 20

Re: Real-Time Scanning prevents creating shortcuts

Doesn't fix the issue, and anyway I don't have that option in Google Chrome.

Would definitely prefer an actual fix to the issue rather than a workaround.

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 20

Retested on win 7 64 bit as all is as it should be. Dinz needs to look at offending Pcs and how they are setup to figure this 1 out. Will chase him up if he does not post here within 24hrs

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/08/11 2:07:54 PM
hiker7777
Former Member
Message 13 of 20

I have the same problem on a Windows 7 Dell 64-bit Operating System PC.  I cannot create an internet shortcut unless I turn off McAfee Real-Time Scanning.  The problem only appeared recently.  The workaround suggested by Maxwell Manowski works, but the problem needs to be fixed.  Otherwise, users will waste time trying to solve the problem never realizing that a recent McAfee upgrade is the cause.

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 20

Sorry still unable to see the issue on my PC. Win 7 64 bit will see if Dinz can visit.

Plotinus
Former Member
Message 15 of 20

I have McAfee Security Center Ver 11.0.578 running under 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 and I have the same problems in creating a shortcut to a web site, namely:

1) Trying to create a shortcut to a web site by right clicking on the desktop and selecting New Shortcut fails with the error message "Unable to create shortcut."

2) Right clicking within a web page and selecting "Create shortcut" does create a shortcut on the Desktop. Unfortunatley, as a Firefox user, this means that I need to first switch to IE, create the shortcut, then switch back to Firefox, which is a real hassle.

3) Switching off Real-Time scanning does allow shortcuts to be made on the Desktop but this does rather defeat the object of having McAfee in the first place!

I notice that the first post on this topic was made in June and that, well over 2 months later, McAfee have still not produced a solution. Unforunately, McAfee have form in the matter of trashing Win 7 functions then taking ages to produce a solution. Last year we had the notorious Win 7 indexing problem which took McAfee literally months to sort out. History does seem to be repeating itself.

It would be nice to have an update on what McAfee is doing about this problem and some idea of the timescale for a solution appearing.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 16 of 20

Hi Plotinus,

If you refer back to the previous page on this thread , you could see my post that says this issue is something new that we have observed , Please let us know if you are interereseted in call back from me where in we do a remote session and diagnose the issue for you .

Regards,

Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 20

All I uninstalled my beta version and reinstall Mcafee from the aussie site. It has the latest patches in it and it seems fixes this issue. At least I can now make links to web sites via shortcuts that do not create an error.

The aussie site is getting a new update on 31 August, England and Canada English versions are being patched 1 week later. The US and other languages 1 week after that. So you can await the patch for your country or uninstall and reboot and download the version from the aussie server now.

That is what my initial testing of this shows

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/08/11 1:04:12 PM
Plotinus
Former Member
Message 18 of 20

I seem to be OK now. I pasted a test shortcut on the desktop and all went well.

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 20

Good cross your fingers...

Dinz
Former Member
Message 20 of 20

Plotinus – Thanks for us posting  us a status update on your issue

Hiker7777 - Please let us know if you still face the same issue ????

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community