Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markinvention
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Real Time Scanning Won't Turn On

Dear all

After an update downloaded yesterday (20Sept) which required a restart, my Real Time Scanning won't turn on.

When opening the McAfee control panel it is showing me that 'my computer is at risk' and when I try to turn on Real Time Scanning it comes on briefly and then automatically turns off.

All was fine up to yesterday's update.

Can somebody help please?

Message was edited by: markinvention on 21/09/11 02:35:44 CDT
11 Replies
markinvention
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Real Time Scanning Won't Turn On

I think I may have solved this one myself.

After doing several restarts with the problem still there, I decided to click McAfee in my taskbar and 'check for updates'. A further update downloaded, (may have been a new update or that yesterday's hadn't installed properly), but after restarting all seems to be turned on in the McAfee admin panel.

I'll keep a check on things today and report back if there are any further issues - just in case somebody else is having similar problems.

markinvention
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

After doing several restarts with the problem still there, I decided to click McAfee in my taskbar and 'check for updates'. A further update downloaded, (may have been a new update or that yesterday's hadn't installed properly), but after restarting all seems to be turned on in the McAfee admin panel.

I'll keep a check on things today and report back if there are any further issues - just in case somebody else is having similar problems.

markinvention
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Wow , everything happened within 15 minutes of time, Glad that you are Ok now , please get back to us if any issues 

markinvention
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Thanks Jai - and sorry for the multiple posts. I hit the 'Add Reply' button too many times!

sibmuscan
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Sorry to report this, but I had the same problem yesterday night. Went to McAfee support page and tired Virtual Technician but it wouldn't "complete", so I went chatting with McAfee level 1 and we now have a level 2 session scheduled for tonight. Level 1 tried the trick of updating: no avail.Even tried un-installing and re-installing Total Protection. There is a distracting error reported by McAfee upon system restart saying the internet connection is inoperative; poor software, I'm online with remote control taken by Level 1 via...the internet! Clearly, everybody is clueless. Will keep you posted after tonight's session.

lostinca07
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

I am also having the same issue as previous posters have described. I could not get Virtual Technician to run and also spoke with a customer service representative via the live chat. While very nice the invidividual was not able to correct the problem as when I restarted the machine the same error message popped up again. I have also tried manually updating and rebooting the machine. The software seemed to function for a couple of hours before real-time scanning stopped working again.

Depending on any proposed solutions I may try contacting McAfee again tomorrow night.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 12

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101225

Ok you have tried a few steps here does step 4 help?

sibmuscan
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Some of these tips imply that you've got McAfee installed. At this point in time, Level 1 had removed the software. So we downloaded a new copy to reinstall but the software would't communicate back with the McAfee server. Same with Virtual Technician. Level 2, kicked off the session by saying there was an incompatibility between McCafee and IE9 (first time I hear this). So he reverted my explorer back to IE8. We were about to try downloading again when Microsoft Update announced there were all kinds of security patches to apply (whose surprised?). The Level 2 guy selected 18 of them including an update to my ATI driver (why mix this up?) But he's got desktop control at tjhis point. In the process, Windows update applied everything but stopped at the ATI driver, launching a red message saying some reserved files were tied up (Level 2 was still connected through remote desktop etc). The level 2 declared, however, that I had corrupted windows files (I saw other users mention this...) and should proceed to ask help from Microsoft support! I said "gee, tks", reset all connections, allowed Windows update to retry and reapply the ATI update, the system rebooted normally and without MacAfee -- and now it is permanently without McAfee (I switched to another tool).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community