cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guyt2013
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Real Time Scanning Still Off

Mcafee was working fine and I think an update for Mcafee somehow messed it up. I use Windows Vista. It appears to work ok on XP. I have done all the suggestions. Unistalled / installed twice. I have used the MCPR. I have tried using the oas disable patch in safe mode and regular mode and it didn't fix the problm. On my last MVT scan it said there were no problems. When I was in safe mode I was able to run a full scan but it only took 10 minutes and didn't look like it scanned everything. The real time scanning was still off though. Safe mode was set to minimal resources. When I tried it in diagnostic safe mode I noticed the real time scanning stayed on but the scan wouldn't work. I have also updated to the latest Java version and tried the go assist chat twice and they couldn't fix it. Everything else is green. Don't know what else to do. I am not a programmer and I don't want to restore or reinstall windows. Shouldn't have to do that for this program. I used the malwarebytes program once to get rid of anything but when I reinstalled it told me it conflicted so mcafee installer uninstalled it. I have seen tons of other people have this same problem and not happy. I have had this problem since last weekend. I remember it working ok when it had the old interface screens. I have the 2012 version of Total Protection. Could IE9 be interfering with it? I haven't tried unistalling that. I mostly use Safari now. The other thing I have noticed is that the program updates every 5-10 minutes? I hope you guy's come up with a GOOD fix soon.

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: Real Time Scanning Still Off

Is this Vista SP2 and are you totally up to date?

You say you have IE9, well I would leave that installed (as long as it's the final version) but make sure it and its add-ons are updated also that it is set to default settings.  McAfee and other processes rely on IE regardless of your default browser settings.

Do you have any other security programs installed?

Have you checked using 3rd party tools to see if malware is present?   If not see the last link in my signature for recommendations.

Do all your other programs work OK?

Is Vista's Windows Update set to fetch updates using Microsoft Updates, it should be as that updates more of Windows than the old version? (Click image to enlarge if necessary)

Capture.JPG

The program seems to be corrupted as it shouldn't be updating every 5 or 10 minutes.   It's supposed to check around every 4 hours or so.   Is your system clock accurate as that can throw things out of whack.

If all the above seem OK then I suggest you contact Technical Support, it's free and available via telephone or online chat through the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

One thing to try which you will have to run anyway before contacting support is the Virtual Technician.  It sometimes will fix things.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

I forgot to add, if you have any registry cleaners or optimizers installed, check them for evidence as they are invariably the culprit in these sorts of case.

ryohija
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Hey, Ex_Brit:

Same thing happened to me last night, after doing a manual check for updates; my PC's OS is Vista SP1.  I tried to do a manual full scan (normal practice for me) after the update, and after 10 minutes I got an error message (didn't capture it, apologies).  The scanning seemed to be stuck at a file named *Home*.cab (asterics because I didn't capture the file name, either).  Real Time Scanning then restarted itself (per SecurityCenter).  I tried it a second time, then got concerned.  I checked my services.msc, and saw that McAfee Scanning was not started, and that its setting was "Manual".  I switched the setting to "Automatic", and restarted it.  I haven't tried to perform a full scan yet, that is something I must do.

Fun fact: the real-time scanning was working fine 2 days ago, when an automatic scan was taking place.  It also worked fine last week when I performed a manual full system scan.

The programs that were updated last night were:

McAfee VirusScan

Version 15.6

Build 15.6.238

Last Update 01/31/2013

DAT Version: 6972

DAT Creation date: 01/31/2013

Boot DAT Version: 6969.0000

Last Update: 01/28/2013

Engine Version: 5500.1093

My SecurityCenter is set to:

Version 11.6

Build: 11.6.443

Affld: 0

Language: en-us

Last Update; 12/13/2012

I just checked the services.msc again, and the McAfee Scanner is still set on Automatic, but it is now not started.

I do have MalwareBytes as a stand alone, and will run a full scan with that later, but I just wanted to see what was going on with the recent McAfee update to VirusScan.

Perhaps something wonky in the recent update....?

Ryohija

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

ryohija wrote:

Hey, Ex_Brit:

Same thing happened to me last night, after doing a manual check for updates; my PC's OS is Vista SP1.  I tried to do a manual full scan (normal practice for me) after the update, and after 10 minutes I got an error message (didn't capture it, apologies).  The scanning seemed to be stuck at a file named *Home*.cab (asterics because I didn't capture the file name, either).  Real Time Scanning then restarted itself (per SecurityCenter).  I tried it a second time, then got concerned.  I checked my services.msc, and saw that McAfee Scanning was not started, and that its setting was "Manual".  I switched the setting to "Automatic", and restarted it.  I haven't tried to perform a full scan yet, that is something I must do.

Fun fact: the real-time scanning was working fine 2 days ago, when an automatic scan was taking place.  It also worked fine last week when I performed a manual full system scan.

The programs that were updated last night were:

McAfee VirusScan

Version 15.6

Build 15.6.238

Last Update 01/31/2013

DAT Version: 6972

DAT Creation date: 01/31/2013

Boot DAT Version: 6969.0000

Last Update: 01/28/2013

Engine Version: 5500.1093

My SecurityCenter is set to:

Version 11.6

Build: 11.6.443

Affld: 0

Language: en-us

Last Update; 12/13/2012

I just checked the services.msc again, and the McAfee Scanner is still set on Automatic, but it is now not started.

I do have MalwareBytes as a stand alone, and will run a full scan with that later, but I just wanted to see what was going on with the recent McAfee update to VirusScan.

Perhaps something wonky in the recent update....?

Ryohija

McAfee Scanner service should be manual.  That only starts when you scan something.

Malwarebytes...is that the Pro version?   It can possibly interfere.  I tried it myself and found inconclusive evidence that it may interfere with the normal operation of SecurityCenter.   The free version is fine though (or the Pro with protection turned off)

You have the older version of the software, do you get it from your ISP?  

All I can recommend is try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything asnd if not then contact Tech Support as in my second-to-last post above.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/ 

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/02/13 9:14:34 EST AM
ryohija
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

I have the free stand alone version of malware bytes, have had it and McAfee for several years now with no interference issues.  My McAfee software is not provided by my ISP.  I purchased McAfee separately several years ago. 

I will run the mvt later, and hopefully it will fix the issue.  If not, then to tech support I will go.

(Also, I do not have any registry cleaner software o similar installed, either.  The system's fairly basic and clutter free.)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 15

Interesting that you don't get your software via a 3rd party.  That would have been to me the reason you had a version that was slightly out of date, but it's only slightly.  Maybe, if the MVT doesn't help, a complete uninstall in the normal way. then run MCPR (Useful Links at the top of the page), reboot and reinstall from the online account.

guyt2013
Former Member
Message 8 of 15

I wanted to let you know that it still doesn't work but here are the steps I tried to fix it. I uninstalled mcafee thru the add/remove programs. When that was done I restarted my computer. Then I ran the MCPR tool and restarted my computer again. MCPR didn't give me any errors. Then after the computer started I ran the MCpreinstall tool. Then I downloaded the software from my account. This is the 3rd time I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  I have windows vista SP2 and my clock speed says 3.00ghz on a gateway computer. So logically speaking this should of been install. As far as IE9 goes I don't use it but if I uninstalled it then downloaded it again would that matter because you said your software uses it. And you also told me to run MVT. I guess you missed that part in my post when I said I did it and it was all green. I did that BEFORE I wrote the first post. Don't have any registry cleaners on my system. The only thing I changed was on windows updates. I checked all the boxes like the picture.

So there you go. Back to square one.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

Sorry I tend to speed read and that coupled with the fact that my eyesight it starting to fail means I miss bits.  I apologise.  Also answering now two people in one thread can be confusing.   You could try uninstalling IE9 and reinstalling I suppose, it might change something.  But it looks like you've tried the standard steps at troubleshooting.  Technical Support is probably your best bet.  See the link under Useful Links at the top of the page.  If you've already done that then reopen and escalate the case.   It's free after all and available by phone or online chat.

ryohija
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

I just completed a full scan with Malware Bytes (updated software first, as always), and there were no issues found.  Next step is to get the latest MVT and see if it can find something.

My Internet Security is all "Green", and has been since I turned on the PC this evening.

I'll keep you posted if MVT finds and fixes, or not, before I proceed to Technical Support.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community