cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vlschenk
Former Member
Message 1 of 40

Real Time Scan won't stay on. Do I have to reinstall?

Java 8 just updated to 91 and Real Time Scan won't stay on. I read the old discussions from several years ago and I hesitate to uninstall. Is there another more recent fix?

39 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 40

Re: Real Time Scan won't stay on. Do I have to reinstall?

Moved this to Consumer > VirusScan.

Make sure your system clock is accurate and reboot, that may fix it.

Otherwise run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything.

https://mvt.mcafee.com/

Let me know how that goes.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 40

Should the case may be after following Colleague Ex_Brit's suggestions do not resolve your issue. You can contact Technical Support 24/7 (Free) of charge. Via Phone/Online Chat being your quickest route.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

I might add that should you feel that you need to (Escalate) your issue to a Higher Tier Tech, please feel free to do so. Simply provide your initial 'Service Request Number'

As Peter mentioned, please let us know how it goes.

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
keallan
Former Member
Message 4 of 40

I got the same problem with AntiVirus Plus 2016.
The real time scanner is still turning off and if im trying to do a quick or normal scan its making an error aswell.

Java is up to date aswell

Also tech support is only available from 9am till 6pm here in the netherlands?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 40

If you are current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates/Add-ons/Extensions, to include Internet Explorer even should you choose to not use it. McAfee and other important programs do. To rule out any possible Malware, you can access some excellent complimentary Tools here;

Try running Malwarebytes (Free) as it functions differently than Anti-Virus applications. To keep it (Free) Do Not accept the (Free) trial , or activate the Paid/Pro Version. Should the scan come up clean, and MVT did not detect any issues.

Short of doing a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall, I would contact Technical Support as soon as possible.

Please let us know your results....

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 40

keallan wrote:

I got the same problem with AntiVirus Plus 2016.
The real time scanner is still turning off and if im trying to do a quick or normal scan its making an error aswell.

Java is up to date aswell

Also tech support is only available from 9am till 6pm here in the netherlands?

This can happen for a number of reasons, use of registry cleaners, or even System Restore can sometimes mess it up. 

If the above Virtual Technician doesn't help and you don't want to be bothered by a Technical Support person the only real solution is to uninstall everything via Control Panel > Programs and Features.  

Run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall.

A hint to save a lot of time ....go to your online account page before doing the above and download to your desktop the installer.

Then you can install right after that reboot without having to go online with only Windows Firewall protecting you.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 40

As Ex_Brit stated, that is why I said' Short of doing a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall, I would contact Technical Support as soon as possible.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
keallan
Former Member
Message 8 of 40

Ex_Brit wrote:
This can happen for a number of reasons, use of registry cleaners, or even System Restore can sometimes mess it up.

If the above Virtual Technician doesn't help and you don't want to be bothered by a Technical Support person the only real solution is to uninstall everything via Control Panel > Programs and Features. 

Run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall.

A hint to save a lot of time ....go to your online account page before doing the above and download to your desktop the installer.

Then you can install right after that reboot without having to go online with only Windows Firewall protecting you.

Hello Ex_Brit,

What are registry cleaners?
I haven't done any system restores in monthes.
Since today I got these problems, I have tried to reinstall Mcafee today. I had tech support yesterday and today aswell since, I got problems with installing aswell. (Installation is incomplete) After a lot of tries Mcafee finally installed on the computer.

catdaddy wrote:

If you are current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates/Add-ons/Extensions, to include Internet Explorer even should you choose to not use it. McAfee and other important programs do. To rule out any possible Malware, you can access some excellent complimentary Tools here; Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

Try running Malwarebytes (Free) as it functions differently than Anti-Virus applications. To keep it (Free) Do Not accept the (Free) trial , or activate the Paid/Pro Version. Should the scan come up clean, and MVT did not detect any issues.

Short of doing a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall, I would contact Technical Support as soon as possible.

Please let us know your results....

-CD

Hello catdaddy,

Does Malwarebytes also delete the corrupt files if the scan wont become clean?

All windows, add-ones and extensions are up to date, since the Tech supporter helped me yesterday and today with installing Mcafee again because I got installation problems with it aswell (Installation Incomplete error).
After couple of tries the installation went good, but now this is happening.

keallan
Former Member
Message 9 of 40

ss+(2016-06-17+at+10_10_23).png

This is what I got from MTV

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 40

Check that your internet connection is always available and your system clock is accurate, also if by any chanmce you are running Windows 10, turn off Fast Startup whcih is a misnomer anyway and makes little difference.

As that prevents a clean restart which some software updates require.

Here's a "Tute" on that: Windows 10 Forums

If other systems, do a clean shut down and restart.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community