cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadco
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

REAL TIME SCANNING WILL NOT STAY SWITCHED ON

I keep getting an error message. Please see attachment.

I press ON and then it, almost immediately, goes OFF.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies
user_107544
Contributor III
Message 2 of 7

Re: REAL TIME SCANNING WILL NOT STAY SWITCHED ON

Hi Dadco,

In order to fix McAfee real time scanning issue please download & run this tool called OAS disabled fix tool. Click on this link to download the tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-fix.cmd, after running this tool re-start your computer & check if McAfee is working or not

Regards,

Rakesh P

McAfee Technical support

brianswilson
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

I've had the same problem with the Total Protection package when a thunderstorm took out my electricity.  McAfee apparently corrupts itself when this happens.  The suggested remedy is to remove and reinstall McAfee completely.  Unfortunately I am still experiencing problems. While everything now says it is active, if I try to manually run the update feature nothing is ever downloaded and the system always reports 0% completed. I've called the help desk several times (and paid for support) and every time after a few days of working the issue they close the ticket and leave me with nothing fixed.

The latest symptom is that while the system is set to scan daily, the history log often show gaps of several days between scans. This morning my McAfee scan report says it scanned; however the history log says nothing has been scanned since the 26th.  The scan report says that one Trojan and two spam e-mails were processed. With no history log to confirm, I have no idea whether this is true. since I have not brought any e-mail onto my system, nor installed any software in the past week, I do not believe the scan report is accurate.  When I manually scan the system, nothing is found and no history log is created.

In the end I've had McAfee reinstalled on my system many times, each time with the same poor result.  McAfee has major problems if your system is shut down unexpectedly and they have no clue as to how to fix the issues.  The best suggestion is simply to reinstall and hope for the best until your license runs out. They should at least get your real-time scanning working again.

Message was edited by: brianswilson on 8/29/10 7:50:21 AM CDT
denisemc1
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

I am experiencing the exact same problem as the initial poster. I dowloaded and ran the patch you recommended but it did not fix the problem. The MCSHIELD service will not run. It starts, then hangs, then fails. There are numerous entries in the Windows event viewer saying "the McShield service terminated unexpectedly."

I ran the McAffee Virtual Technician. It detected the problem and also tried to restart the service, but the service kept failing. The MVT hung waiting for the service to go through its loop of start, hang, fail, restart.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled McAffe, run the patch and am still seeing the same behavior. What else can I do to fix this problem?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Hello there,

Could you please provide the following details ;

What is the operating system of the computer ?
Do we have any other security software installed in the computer ?
Please run MVT from here
http://mvt.mcafee.com  and post me with your latest session id –

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

1958ad
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

I'm having same problem.  Ran MVT and it failed.  I have saved the log file, but it looks like it may contain account information, so I don't want to paste it here.  Please provide me with an e-mail address to which I can send that file.  Thanks,

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 7

I assume no other active AV or malware scanner ie 1 that loads on boot and scans in the background at same time as Mcafee?

Pointed dinish here as well.

You can post the session ID here and he can look it up.

on 16/05/11 6:50:16 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community