cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fuzzy164
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Protection shuts down when new update installed

Hi: New to the forum, but have used McAfee for the past 7 years, recently (within the past 6 months) every time there is a new update McAfee shuts itself down. I can fix it by clicking on the "fix" button and it seems to be fine until the next update. The problem is I'm not always at home when this happens which leaves the computer at risk. It stated with my 2008 protection and has continued after installing the 2009 version this week, has this been posted already? I'm looking for any solutions.

Thanks all

Fuzzy164

5 Replies
Manoj_AR
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Protection shuts down when new update installed

Hi,

Are you getting not protected message after every update?

Try to manually update the McAfee product (Open MSC->Click on the Update button from the opt left) let me know if the protection is getting disabled or not.

Run McAfee Virtual Technician and let me know the Session ID:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/mvt/installer/mvt_en-us.msi

fuzzy164
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Manoj_AR: Ran update but no update available so it of course did not shut down. Ran VT session id 22224991 shows no problems with McAfee. I will run VT when the next update is downloaded and post session id then.

Thanks foer the help.

Fuzzy164

fuzzy164
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Manoj_AR: Happened again when updated. Ran VT session 22246958 fixed 2 of three errors could not fix processes not running. Went to MSC hit fix and worked. Please advise asap.

Thanks

Fuzzy164

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Hi ,

I reviewed your session id, which states an Expected Service State Incorrect.

In the next update, if McAfee gives you a not protected message, try to capture the error message below the FIX button before clicking on it.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator.

fuzzy164
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Well seems McAfee has "fixed" what ever was happening and I'm glad to see I was not the only one having this problem (thanks Salty). I have see 3 new updates and my protection has not shut itself down.

So what was the issue? was it a bad code line?, wrong instructions being convyed to the software? and will we experience this problem again?

Nothing against McAfee still the best product at the best price IMHO, but at least they try and fix their product unlike another company who kept telling me there "was nothing wrong with the product it must be you" until I had a tech run it and surprize there was a missing componet.

If this happens again I'll post with all the info, thanks all I really do appreciate your time and answers.

Fuzzy164

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community