cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgeorge6
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Protection problem after udates & install.

For the past month I'm getting a X within the McAfee M icon upon completion of a McAfee update and installation,with a message to open the Security Center,which indicates my computer is not protected.I click on the Fix button to repair the problem.Some times I am required to run the FIX scan to regain virus protection.The problem I'm having is that I'm continuig to experiencing this X (no protection) after each McAfee update.I would like to find a way to resolve this problem which is very time consuming and annoying.What does it take to talk to a technician.Any suggestions you can offer will be appreciated.If this continues to persist my only alternative is to cancell my subscription because this isn't what I paid for.

Security Center : Version 9.0
Virus Scan : Version 13.0
Build 13.0.232
Dat version 5510.0000
Personal Firewall : Version 10.0
last update 12/18/2007
Operating Sys : XP pro,sp3
4 Replies
Helter_Skelter
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Protection is turned OFF after re-boot or Update

Hi jgeorge6,

am experiencing a similar problem. About a month ago I started finding that on a cold boot OR after an Update that my protection was turned OFF. Not sure what caused this, am going to do a clean install to see if that fixes it,

Cheers

Helter_Skelter
jgeorge6
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Protection problem after update/installation

Let me know if the problem goes away after you do a clean and install.Since I've reported this problem it hasn't happened with recent udates/installations, it's been good for this past week.Thanks for the input and good luck with the reinstall.Have you tried to contact a McAfee customer support technician?
Helter_Skelter
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

RE: Protection problem after update/installation

jgeorge6 & Ex_Brit,

Followed Ex_Brit's instructions for complete removal of all McAfee products.
Add/Remove McAfee
reboot
ran MCPR.exe
checked for and removed some residual folders
emptyied temp folders
defragged
reboot
Logged into my McAfee account
Custom downloaded/installed the parts of McAfee Virusscan Plus
that I wanted installed
reboot
autoupdate worked the next day
2 days later SiteAdvisor upgraded itself to the latest version

All has been working fine, no problems for about 2 weeks,
sorted!

Cheers Ex_Brit,

Helter_Skelter
jgeorge6
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

RE: Protection problem after update/installation

Thanks for your response.I will take your advice if the problem reappears.whatever the problem was hasn't occurred during the past 3 weeks.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community