cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dweep
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Protection Disabled every 4-5 hours?

I get an error message every 4 to 5 hours that check protection status - and i find that - 'computer and files' and 'Email and IM' categories are in red. after i click fix, all goes green.

but problem repeats after few horus.

I have downloaded and ran Virtual Technician, it showed fixed 1 error and didn't fix 1. some process not running.

Here is session id:

Session

Your McAfee Virtual Technician
Session ID: 20392139

I got Mcaffee 15month subs free with my Dell. Its just 6months.

Kindly help.
13 Replies
prpetty
Former Member
Message 2 of 14

Protection degraded every 3 to 4 hours

I am encountering the same problem. Script Scanning is disabled and Buffer Overflow is disabled. When I click 'fix now' in the Control Center all becomes happy again. But sort of like my wife it never lasts grin Anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours the same thing happens again. There is an application error message which reads:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: McLogEvent
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5051
Date: 9/20/2009
Time: 7:45:42 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: PRP
Description:
A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 5144 (0x1418)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.423 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\regutils.dll
by C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

Oddly enough I get this informational message just prior to each of these critical errors:

Event Type: Information
Event ID: 5000
Time: 6:55:08 AM
Description:
McShield service started.
Engine version : 5301.4018
DAT version : 5746.0000

Number of signatures in EXTRA.DAT : None
Names of threats that EXTRA.DAT can detect : None

I have disabled the JQS.EXE file, which is the Java Quick Start file which is what the error message indicates has the regutils.dll file locked and am now waiting for the outcome. I will follow up this post if this in fact makes any difference.

PRP
dweep
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

RE: Protection degraded every 3 to 4 hours

Why no response from Mcafee support ?

The problem still persists with me.
prpetty
Former Member
Message 4 of 14

They don't have a clue...

Have you took a look at your application error logs?
dweep
Former Member
Message 5 of 14

RE: They don't have a clue...

Not getting any error logs.

in events i get that - real time protection enabled.
prpetty
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

Another silly error...;-)

In Windows XP, control panel, Adminstrative Tools, Event Viewer (Local), Application is where I'm finding the error logs I mentioned.

Also I have done quite a bit of changing to my sysetm...I've un-installed Google Crome, I've disabled Java Quick Start, I've un-installed IE8 and re-installed it. All except JQS.EXE are due to another problem I'm having and should not be related to the McAfee problem.

The other problem is one of my cable modem / router losing connection to the internet and my IE8 freezing up and crashing.

I'm not sure by any means that your McAfee is shutting down services for the same reasons mine was but my first location to look is as I mentioned above. If you are using Windows and not seeing any application errors where I mentioned above you may have your logging set to not log.

After I made the change to JQS.EXE I had the following error in the app log from McAfee but it did not shut down the scanning or buffer overflow services:

Event Type: Error
Event ID: 5051
Time: 10:13:08 AM
Description:
A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 3288 (0xcd8)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.423 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and Settings\Randy\My Documents\2007FATBOOK.pdf
by C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

2007FATBOOK.PDF is a Harley Davidson parts catalog.
SearchProtocolHost.exe is Part of Windows desktop search but is not part of the OS so I'm not too worried about it. This doesn't look like a problem. Since taking JQS.exe off line the problem of the scripting scan and the buffer overflow have subsided...still watching but his is the longest time for a couple of days without the errors.

Took so long to get back because I wound up going down and purchasing another cable modem...Motorola SurfBoard.
LonelyTripper
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

Prpetty

Hi prpetty,
The problem your facing is cuz of the java

Plz Verify the following details

• Operating System vista/xp
  • Type Of Internet Connection cabel/wireless/dsl/dial-up

• What product you have with McAfee Total Protection/Virus Scan Plus/Internet Security
  • Check for the system Time and Date weather your computer reflects the right date ans time on your computer

prpetty
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

I assumed Java to be the cause...

As I said in my last post, it looks like my problem with script scanning and buffer overflow has been resolved with the disableing of JQS.exe...the Java Quick Start program. I'm trying to get to the core problem DWEEP is having with his installation.

Just for informational purposes I run Windows XP sp 3 with a Cable modem (brand new Motorola SurfBoard purchased today)

The McAfee products I'm running are:
SecurityCenter V 9.3 build 9.3.162
VirusScan v 13.3 build 13.3.127
SiteAdvisor v 1.6 build 1.3.3459

I am continuing to watch my McAfee products to see where we go from here but so far so good.
LonelyTripper
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

dweep

Please Verify the Details Below

Operating System vista/xp.
Type Of Internet Connection cabel/wireless/dsl/dial-up.
What product you have with McAfee Total Protection/Virus Scan Plus/Internet Security.

Check for the System Time and Date and check weather your computer reflects the right date and time.If not correct it to the right one.

Right below the fix button you could capture the description for the error why its turning red on Computer and Files and Email and IM and can you capture the exact message what it shows.
netspazz
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

RE: dweep

I am currently having the same issue. Every few hours my McAfee icon in the toolbar will show an X,null and report that is has issues.

It is showing the following items that need to be fixed
- Real-time scanning is disabled
- Spyware and portentially unwanted program scanning is disabled
- IM scanning is disabled
- script scanning is disabled
- buffer overflow protection is disabled

I run "fix" and everything looks ok. Few hours later and this all gets disabled again. Just started happening in the last few days. I have all the current updates. Have run scan and all comes clean, no infections.

My version is the latest, security center for MSN. running XP.

Very very strange. Any help would be great.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community