cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Problems with downloading Adobe Acrobat XI (11.0.07)

I recently tried to download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat from the official site, but every time I try to download in Chrome after unchecking the "McAfee Security Scan Plus" option I get the message "Anti-virus software failed unexpectedly while scanning this file."

It seems to download fine if I leave the box checked, but I'm wary of installing anything that comes "bundled" with downloads, even if it's a McAfee product. Does this mean I have I install the optional Security Scan, or is there a way around this, as I'm sure this didn't happen with previous versions?

25 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 26

Re: Problems with downloading Adobe Acrobat XI (11.0.07)

Give me the URL of the site where you're trying to download Acrobat from and I'll test this for myself

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Thanks for getting back so quickly, Hayton.

Here's the link: http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 26

From that link I downloaded the installer (1Mb +) without any problems. I too had to uncheck the Security Scan Plus option first.

Did McAfee allow you to get through that stage? Running the installer brings down a 70Mb application.

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 26

I've tried tried downloading (with the optional software box unchecked) and I'm still getting the failure message.

I'm worried it might be because of something I did accidentally on visiting the site first time. I click "install" and then realized I'd forgotten to uncheck the box, so after the download completed, moved it into the recycle bin and deleted it, then tried to download again with the box unchecked. Since then, I keep getting failure messages.

I've noticed the "failed" downloads are appearing in my Downloads folder, but without the usual Adobe icon. If I try to delete them a message states I need Admin permission, even though I'm currently using an Admin account.

Screenshot.jpg

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 26

So you got as far as the installer. Something somewhere's got messed up, so the next step is to uninstall Reader, if it shows up in the list of installed programs; empty the Recycle bin, clear up all your temp files, delete cookies, clear the browser cache. Adobe's perhaps checking for something and finding it already present. Could perhaps be in the registry.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 26

I keep this link on hand to check for the latest Adobe Flash Player. Not only to make certain it is the latest Version, yet to include if it is "Functioning properly". You should see a Grahic Display if it is.

In addition will advise you if you do indeed have the most current Version.

Granted, it is not associated with "Adobe Reader", yet will accertain that you have connected to the appropiate site. The link is HERE

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Hi Hayton,

I've done all of the above and I'm still getting the same message.

I see the "missing icon" version of Adobe Acrobat is still there. Would McAfee's QuickCleaner be able to remove it?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 26

wixey wrote:

Would McAfee's QuickCleaner be able to remove it?

Not sure. You could try, I suppose.

Two things here : you said in the original post

It seems to download fine if I leave the box checked

which leads me to think that after you downloaded the first time with the SSP box checked Adobe set a flag somewhere. If you haven't seen any boxes popping up saying "Installing Security Scan Plus" then you effectively have a botched download. The only way forward may be to tick the box to install this piece of, pardon my French, crapware and let everything run to completion, and then uninstall SSP.

As for the download(s) without an icon that you can't delete, it must be something to do with user/file permissions. You've got a laptop with Windows 7 (you said that elsewhere) and this is what good old F1 (Help) has to say about Access Denied messages :

- Right-click the file and then click Properties

- Click the Security tab

- Under Group or user names click your name to see what permissions you have.

If all else fails Malwarebytes have a nifty little utility called FileAssassin which claims to be able to delete any file; that might be your last resort.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 10 of 26

wixey wrote:

I recently tried to download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat from the official site, but every time I try to download in Chrome after unchecking the "McAfee Security Scan Plus" option I get the message "Anti-virus software failed unexpectedly while scanning this file."

It seems to download fine if I leave the box checked, but I'm wary of installing anything that comes "bundled" with downloads, even if it's a McAfee product. Does this mean I have I install the optional Security Scan, or is there a way around this, as I'm sure this didn't happen with previous versions?

Hi wixey,

If you already have Adobe Reader 11 installed, all you need to do, was to simply open the Adobe Reader 11. Click Help then click Check For Updates. It downloads the Update. When done, simply click to install the Update. No Mess, no fuss.

People / Users sometimes makes things more difficult then it needs to be.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community