Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elmoisred
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Problem with VirusScan Daily Update Module

Iam running SecurityCenter 9 on WinXP Dell Dimension5150

For the last number of weeks I have been experiencing a problem with the VirusScan daily update module

When trying for Updates - either automatically or manually - I was getting the following error message

MCAfee VirusScan API Daily Update Module has encountered a problem and needs to close

Initially this resulted in getting an amber warning via Security Center console that the detection signature file was between 8 and 29 days old

Actions Taken

Step 1
I tried fixing via both Fix option in Security Ceter and via McAfee Virtual Technican but to no effect

Step 2

I then un-installed Secuity Centre Suite (using the Remove Programs and MCPR.exe combination as advise via FAQ section of McAfee website) and tried to re-install

During the re-installation process I get the same message that

MCAfee VirusScan API Daily Update Module has encountered a problem and needs to close

However the McAfee Product Installation still reported the status of the VirsuScan as 'success'

i then rebooted and entered the Security Center console and got the following 2 messages

• The detection signature file is greater than 30 days old
  • Some components are missing please re-install McAfee VirusScan

Step 3

Trying to fix via McAfee Virtual Technican does not work - resulting in the following

• Problem Missing Files (4)
    • Problem Service(s) not running (1)

Step 4

Based on advice in other similar posts in the Community Forum I installed Malware Bytes and performed the quick scan

This found and removed 2 spyware programs

I then re-booted

B]Step 5

After rebooting I entered the Security Center console and still got the following 2 messages

• The detection signature file is greater than 30 days old
    • Some

components are missing please re-install McAfee VirusScan

and repeated steps 2 and 3 with the same result - same 2 error messages !

Any suggestions really welcomed !
7 Replies
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

RE: Problem with VirusScan Daily Update Module

hi,

can you post the session ID of the MVT that you did?
elmoisred
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for replying

i did not keep original session id but have just re run with same outcome

Session ID 14646028
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

i looked at the result of the the MVT and it seems update files are missing including an important file with virus scan... this can be caused by a third party application (other antivirus software)... please review your add or remove programs list and check if you have other antivirus software like NORTON, AVG, KASPERSKY... etc... for the list of third party apps... click here... for information on how to uninstall...

also try obtaining latest updates for microsoft... might help resolve that error you're getting...
eamon
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

I have the same problems as described by the user elmoisred above.
The only difference is that i have a dell inspiron 1501 (which came with mcafee installed). I am not too sure of my mcaffee version number (after i click the about button only a blank page shows up). MVT says my product name is Virusscan - McAfee SecurityCentre and product version 13.15.101 so maybe i am posting in wrong place??

I have followed the same steps as elmoisred with the exception i did not download malware, rather i downloaded avast, ran once and uninstalled.

After running MVT, it said that 1 file was missing and 1 service not running. The session ID is:

I have no other spware/antiVirus programmes installed. I have windows fully up to date.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

\many thanks,
eamon
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

This thread is rather old now so I think your best bet is to do the following. Lately the MVT has been throwing up some false readings we've been told by McAfee Tech. Dept, so do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
eamon
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Hi and thanks for the advice ex_brit.

After following all of you instructions i am getting the following message during installation:
McAfee Preinstall Scanner has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The installation completes with the same problems of the API Daily Update Module message as before.

What should my next step be?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Run the MVT and approach Technical Support directly.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community