Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michellew
Contributor II
Message 1 of 3

Problem with McAfee Security Centre

Hello,

I've been running McAfee Security Centre on Windows 7 using IE version 8 with no problem since December 31, 2010.  Now, I am noticing 2 issues:

#1:  About 2 days ago, McAfee updated itself.  Yesterday afternoon, all of a sudden I could no longer connect to the internet.  I had a tech from my ISP come over and check my internet connection and we determined that when the McAfee firewall is turned off, my internet access works fine.  I have no idea what happened since the McAfee update to cause this issue.  If worse comes to worse, I have no problem leaving the firewall disabled as I have a router protecting my system.  However, if I could get some help into getting things working well as they were before, this would be the best outcome.

#2:  As long as the firewall is turned off, I am unable to enable the anti-virus real time scanning.  It simply will not allow me to enable it.  This concerns me more than the firewall issue.  Why does this happen and is there any way to fix it?

Any help that any of you can provide with these mysteries is appreciated.

mdw

2 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 3

Re: Problem with McAfee Security Centre

Sounds like a corruption I would uninstall it via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

That should assist you. If not contact chat via the tech services link in useful links tab above.

PS you have not any other AVs present? Note when you reinstall remove any malware product as skipping detection of them can cause issues. Reinstall them after mcafee installed

michellew
Contributor II
Message 3 of 3

Re: Problem with McAfee Security Centre

Thank you, Tony.  I will try this.

mdw

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community