cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_j_
Contributor II
Message 1 of 17

Problem and question about new VirusScan version

I noticed last night that one of my computers had not been receiving updates, so I decided to uninstall and reinstall McAfee.  After doing this, a new version was installed.  I also noticed that the
version downloaded was newer that what was on another machine so I did the same thing there.  When running a full scan with the new version a fraction of the number of files are being scanned.  This occurs on both computers.  Tens of thousands of files are being scanned where there were previously hundreds of thousands.  I at first wondered if perhaps there was a different scanning process in the new version but I also noticed that the scan stays at 1 percent until the end of the scan, and that only files are shown as scanned; no processes, critical system files or boot records.  Is there a known problem?  When should the issue be fixed?

Also, I notice that there is no longer an option to schedule scans.  Has this function been retired and, if so, why is it no longer needed?

I have attached a screenshot of my scan results.

16 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 17

Re: Problem and question about new VirusScan version

The answer I was given was as follows:  Scheduled scans are no longer an option but there will be FAQ's issued shortly on the Support Website that will cover that.    The new engine scans in a different manner so no need for concern regarding the apparent difference in results.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 17

I might add that ExBrit is quite correct in his statements. Us Mods are still conversing with the 'Powers to be' to reintroduce the (Scheduled Scanning Feature). As Peter mentioned there is no degradation in protection or performance.

It is simply due to the way the Next Generation Scanning Engine functions.

Regards,

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_127173
Former Member
Message 4 of 17

Hi Jason,

The new McAfee anti-malware strategy is built around the idea that protection does not have to slow you down.

Therefore, instead of having regularly-scheduled full scans which can have an impact on PC performance, our security software now looks at files only when you open or execute them.

The new LAM architecture is built on On-Access scanning, where our security software looks at files only as they are executed or accessed.

This way, it prevents infection without having to regularly scan every file on your PC making it as safe as (or safer) than the Real-Time Scanning feature, but with better performance.

Regards,

Abhishek Adhikari    

Intel Security,McAfee

cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 17

"The new LAM architecture is built on On-Access scanning, where our security software looks at files only as they are executed or accessed"

In respect of on-access, McAfee should ensure that when a manual scan is requested of a file, that it nevertheless identifies and removed malware. I mention this because I had a recent support case where there was an MS Office file with malicious macros, i.e. a Trojan downloader, that are no longer detected on manual scans, yet Webadvisor still identified them as suspicious and they also appear under McAfee on Virustotal. I was told by support that this was now normal behaviour. Ouch!

It is important for users to have the ability to manually scan and have the malware identified and removed immediately, otherwise the product will end up like Webroot (which I also use on some PCs and have problems with) that are in my opinion over-confident in their assumptions, then sometimes get it wrong and don't block malware, and as a consequence the users may get infested with Locky and / or move on elsewhere. Also, users don't like known malware sitting on their hard drives, waiting until it is executed, even if it only is a problem when executed because they could inadvertantly pass it on to another user not knowing it is malware and McAfee missed a chance to identify it earlier and block it.

On access needs to cover these kinds of scenarios, if not already, certainly when requesting a manual scan it needs to be as accurate at Virustotal McAfee and Webadvisor. If this could be fed back to the design team, assuming I have understood any "limitations" of the new LAM. Thank you. Otherwise, the new LAM is light and appreciated.

Update: I've also noted that when using Outlook and downloading an attachment with suspected malware, McAfee no longer identifies it. Then a manual scan does not identify it either. Same attachement downloaded using webmail in FF or Chrome, Webadvisor immediately pounces on it and kills it! I believe this is likely related to the on-access issue / new LAM.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 17

Very interesting observation cavehomme1 - any chance of having this get back to the devs?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 17

​,

I will add this as a Topic of Discussion on our next Conference Call.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Great, thanks guys.

If it helps, although it's not solely limited to the issue that I reported to support, that particular service request number was: 2136711353

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 17

You are perfectly welcome   We always value a User's input/feedback. Please know I indeed just added it to the meeting.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Cool.

In case it's needed, just for context if they feel it might be helpful, I've been a business and home user of PCs for 30 years. In that time I am sure I have used over 90% of the AVs out there. Used McAfee a good few years back at home and work, but was too slow. Now I recently returned and I really like what I see, very good product, on the right track in my humble opinion, just needs a few tweaks and try not to repeat the mistakes made by some other leading edge AVs who got too smart

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community