cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chay123
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Pls pls help!! Urgent.

awhile ago i was scanning my pc using mcafee. after it scanned the pc, out of stupidity without even knowing what it would do, i checked the files that are quarantined and then i clicked restore. when i checked drive C, some file weren't there anymore. most especially the important files of my mom. in short, after i clicked restore everything went missing. now my mom is so mad at me for having deleted her files. now i want to return the files that went missing but i dont know how. i checked the recent activities that has happened in mcafee but there was no record of the "restoring file" that i mistakenly did. there is also no UNDO or retrieve files in mcafee. i was so stupid. i thought "restore button" was to restore the files that were hit by the virus.

HOW do i retrieve the quarantined files that has been restored (lost) by mcafee?

PLS HELP! my mom is so mad. im so dead.
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: Pls pls help!! Urgent.

Moved from Data Backup to VirusScan.

If you restored the files then they would reappear where they were before until VirusScan scans the next time and it all starts over again.

If you clicked remove, rather than restore, then they are gone forever and can't be retrieved.

I suspect you did the latter if they haven't reappeared.

Check that they aren't quarantined again.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click restore (left)
Click Files (top left)

If they are there again you are going to have to disable VirusScan temporarily and report them to the Threat Center in the hope that they can disable their detection in an update.

See this thread regarding that: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=233664
chay123
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

yes, i clicked restore and not remove. but the files were originally from another hard disk that was just transferred to the new hard disk of our computer and there also no more copy of it in the old hard disk. is there any way i can retrieve the files? pls any way? don't you makers of mcafee have a record of the files of the people using mcafee?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

McAfee applications only dial home with usage statiistics if that option has been OK'd by you, and for updates of course but no files are transferred from your machine to McAfee except if you are reporting something in the quarantine folder using the "Report to McAfee" option and then the Threat Center only holds them for analysis and subsequently discards them.

There are ways and means of retrieving deleted data but it can be extremely expensive and would only work assuming that section of the drive hasn't already been overwritten.

Try Googling "Data Retrieval".

I got some here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/24/top-10-free-data-recovery-software/
chay123
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

thank you thank you soooo much for the suggested site. i tried to download it and it works. the files are now recovered. thank you so so much ^^
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

That was a stroke of good luck. Glad it's OK now.

Marked this as solved.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community