cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katheo
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Pay for removal when McAfee fails to deliver?!!

I just got infected by a virus that points to file-recovery-software.com (lots of hard drive/sector/write spoof errors).

I have McAfee Antivirus Plus 2012 installed and it picked something up ( Exploit-PDF!Blacole) Trojan but something is still infected on my system.

I ran the virtual tech and it said the software is running propertly. 

I talked to someone on the online chat support.  She couldn't fix it. 

She referred me to the telephone support.

I finally got through to telephone support and they want $89.95 to remove it.

Why doesn't McAfee own up to the fact that the product failed in this case? 

If nothing else, I would think they would want to know when their software fails so they can fix it.

Any comments?

Message was edited by: katheo on 8/12/12 7:12:37 PM CDT
13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: Pay for removal when McAfee fails to deliver?!!

No antivirus is 100% guaranteed to stop everything out there.  There are 100's of new infections released daily and new variants of ones already known, so it's always a game of 'catch-up'.   That said this excploit should have been stopped http://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virusprofile.aspx?key=987058#none assuming you followed the removal instructions.

There are more tools and suggestions in the last link in my signature.   All free by the way.

All antivirus makers charge for one-on-one removal by the way but there are usually free alternatives.

katheo
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Thanks--

Found that link too but it didn't do the trick.  Guess it was some other virus that happened at the same time.

I do understand there are always more threats than is possible for McAfee to keep up with but there is a disconnect in the customer service feedback loop.

McAfee seems to care less that I have a virus unless I give them $90.

I am going to reinstall my OS and use the $90 to buy a better product or at least one with better customer support.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

Well good luck then, and sorry you had to experience that.

mcafee_joke
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Two months on and Mcafee still doesn't pick this up!!

How many hours am I going to have to spend to get this junk off my laptop now?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 14

This an old thread....what exactly is 'this junk' ?

The OP said McAfee picked up  Exploit-PDF!Blacole Trojan (in other words dealt with it) but something is still infected on my system - they never told us what the 'something' was.

Nothing is 100% guaranteed for protect you but there are always lots of tools to help.

A few suggestions in the last link in my signature.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/10/12 5:00:30 EDT PM
mcafee_joke
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

The junk is referred to by the OP: file-recovery-software.com

Do a search for 'file-recovery-software virus' and you will see all the screenshots and learn about it.

I did a full scan but nothing was picked up, I think the PDF trojan thing is a seperate issue and unrelated.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

My bad, sorry, serves me right for speed reading.    Spoof anti-malware is a difficult thing for any antivirus to stop because they invariably need some user action no matter how small to activate them.

Even dismissing them or trying to gets one in deeper.

The best method I've found is to immediately power off, then reboot into Safe Mode and initiate a System Restore to before all of it started.

Stinger may catch it however, and that is in the link in my signature if the restore option doesn't work or isn't available..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/10/12 5:56:14 EDT PM
mcafee_joke
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I've done a system restore, didn't take as long as I thought it might.

However the malware had hidden all files so had to change the folder settings to show hidden files in order to see photos/documents etc.

Thanks for the swift replies.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 14

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community