cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saintfan
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Page loads and response time

I am hoping someone can help me with the McAfee Security Suite I recently downloaded from Cox Cable. Since installation, my response times and page loads for the internet as well as software such as Office and Quick Books has slowed significantly. Are there any settings I can adjust to remedy this problem?

4 Replies
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: Page loads and response time

May I know the Operating System installed on your computer, size of the RAM, version of Internet Explorer?

saintfan
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for jumping in. I am using Internet Explorer 8; Windows XP Home Edition; RAM 512 MB.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

McAfee is security software. All security software has some background services which is active all the time to check for any changes on the files and virus activities. For McAfee, it is known as Heuristics activity. Any security software will slow down the computer little, since it will have to download the update, scan for each program and infection to keep your computer secure.

Now we can delete the temporary files of the computer to speed up the computer. We can run McPreInstall tool to automatically remove the temporary files and cookies from your computer which may slow down your computer.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

I would also recommend you to remove unwanted start up programs from the computer. Please check following knowledge base to check for incompatible application list and removal tools.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100914

The minimum requirement of McAfee to install is 512 MB of RAM and your computer has 512 MB ram, however the RAM in your computer might be used by some other program, while the working of McAfee causing the issue. So I recommend you to upgrade your RAM as most of th eprogram needs higher RAM and it is cheap nowadays.

saintfan
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Very good advice. I will try your recommendations and see what happens.

Thanks

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community