Re: One computer has consistent dat update problems

Jump to solution

The email that was sent references SR 879687839

rsrace2
Former Member
Message 42 of 47

Jump to solution

After a Tier-2 call today, I am declaring a "potential victory".  I won't get a chance to check the DAT file updates again until Tuesday and I'd like to see one automatic update before declaring it fixed, but the tech did delete the DAT file folder and McAfee replaced it on the update.

Just to document what he did in case there are others suffering from the same issue...

*checked Windows updates (none needed, I do this automatically)...still didn't update

*regsvr32 the mcsubmgr.dll file to unregister and register it...still didn't update

*renamed the DAT file...still didn't update (done that)

* downloaded and ran MSCPRXFIX.exe and ran, reboot...BINGO!

In my first contact with Tier-1, my first post here, and even the moderator replies here it was suspected that the fact that this computer was ONCE a proxy-server computer may have been the issue.  As I understand it MSCPRXFIX is for proxy server fixes.  But I am not on a proxy server and everything was set for "no/do not us a proxy" so I am baffled.  The Tier-2 tech couldn't really tell me what the exe did either.  But I cannot argue that it made a step change improvement - McAfee did a download of the current DAT file.

I will check back in on Tuesday to confirm and mark this "solved"  - but it looks promising.  Many thanks to the moderators for support, tech help, emotional counseling , etc.! 

Dinz
Former Member
Message 43 of 47

Jump to solution

Hi rsrace2,

Form your recent support ticket with tech support it seems that our Tier 2 tech was able to get your issue resolved . Thanks for taking your time to get a response on our call back and please get back if any issues , ..

Regards,

Peacekeeper
Message 44 of 47

Jump to solution

If the dat update  does not stay working please get back to us. That file is 1 we mods do not have access to . Hopefully it worked.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/05/12 6:47:52 AM
rsrace2
Former Member
Message 45 of 47

Jump to solution

I am declaring victory - most of a week and the updated DAT's are still coming through fine.  In case others are having the same problem, the final solution was to run the MSCPRXFIX.exe tool which seems to have fixed something related to the old proxy server settings (I am not currently running on a proxy or through an internal server of any kind but connect direct to a broadband connection - and I had absolutely no internet connection problems).  I still don't get why it worked but, as long as it did I guess I don't have to...it fixed something which no one can identify.

Here is the URL where the file is available through McAfee:

follow the instructions and the link on this FAQ page (all through McAfee sites)

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100291

Thanks again to the moderators!

lvsuze
Former Member
Message 46 of 47

Jump to solution

So many people having this problem, including me.  It just shouldnt be this hard.  I have 1 month left on my 3-PC subscriptiona and I am definately moving on to something else.  This is ridiculous!

Peacekeeper
Message 47 of 47

Jump to solution

I do not know about the so many part as this thread is 6 mths old and no activity till now.

Can you expalin what happens is it dat update fails, does not run, oer says cannot download as no net connection? You had no other AV installed previously if so run its removal tool.

Try a manual update

https://community.mcafee.com/message/240016#240016

Try the instructions and the link on this FAQ page (all through McAfee sites)

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100291

Then call support and see if they can help. I assume you have tried to uninstall reinstall it?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot twice and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community