Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsrace2
Former Member
Message 31 of 47

Re: One computer has consistent dat update problems

Jump to solution

reply sent

Prechecker was run by the McAfee Virus removal people today I believe, but I downloaded it for the next installation.

Message was edited by: rsrace2 on 5/17/12 5:58:45 PM CDT
rsrace2
Former Member
Message 32 of 47

Jump to solution

Can anyone tell me what services the McAfee updater uses? 

This has to be as simple as a difference in what the updater uses (i.e. running functions and access/file ownership by the system) versus what a manual download does (accessing via my admin logon or the other user who is also an admin).

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 33 of 47

Jump to solution

There is a way to find out : if you have Process Explorer running, and you're lucky enough to be watching it when McAfee checks for and downloads updates, you can right-click the process and call up its Properties, which should show you all the associated services and threads. If you're fast enough you can do a PrintScreen for each of those and save them before the mcupdate process ends. Same - but easier - for a manual DAT download.

The best way to make sure you can catch the automatic update process is to set McAfee to notify you when the updates are available but before they're downloaded and installed.

rsrace2
Former Member
Message 34 of 47

Jump to solution

Wondering if any light was shed in the conference call...?  I contacted McAfee this morning (10am local) hoping for some suggestions, but they had no new information on my problem -- the last info in my log was that "I was supposed to have the virus removal team look at my machine" (which was completed 6 days ago).  It appears the left hand doesn't talk with the right hand.  Tier-2 never followed up.

After the usual 20 Tier-1 questions like "do I have an internet connection?", "what is the error message?", and "am I sure that my problem still remains?", I supposedly have another Tier-2 call coming at their convenience in the next 24-48 hours.  I specifically requested not to get the prior Tier-2 tech.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 35 of 47

Jump to solution

Hmm. Left hand, right hand. Another one for the next conference call. There wasn't one this week because it was a public holiday in Canada, and we're unclear whether there will be one next week as it's a public holiday in the States. We mods never get a holiday of any sort, so we're less than pleased at having issues piling up and awaiting discussion

btw I captured a manual DAT update check using Process Explorer - nothing to download. It showed no services, but there was a thread list.

mcupdmgr threads.JPG

Message was edited by: Hayton on 23/05/12 16:28:46 IST
rsrace2
Former Member
Message 36 of 47

Jump to solution

Thanks Hayton.  I appreciate the awkward position you moderators are put it.  It's a pity McAfee doesn't work harder to keep you out of the middle. 

When I can get access to the "problem computer" I will compare your screen capture with a manual update on that computer (the DAT update doesn't work in manual - just updates once when McAfee is uninstalled/reinstalled).  Maybe something will jump out as missing or problematic.

In either case, if next week's a holiday too, it makes no sense to leave it on the tech call list -  I will not have this problem in another couple weeks when they finally get around to it.  If the Tier-2 tech doesn't provide insight when he calls today/tomorrow, I am afraid I will need to migrate our systems to another virus protection vendor - I cannot invest this much time trying to make McAfee work and uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee weekly to get a new DAT to keep the user happy -  or I will be answering to my boss (I've personally spent over 20 hrs trying to get McAfee working on this machine and have nothing but a potential ulcer to show for it).  I am sure you moderators can understand and share in the frustration.

Peacekeeper
Message 37 of 47

Jump to solution

Your issue is noted in the this week's call agenda which will be manually answered tday. Next week the call will go ahead. so between the 2 and the call back we should fix you up (touch wood)

okanaganfan
Contributor II
Message 38 of 47

Jump to solution

Hello Hayton,

I would like to thank you for the McInfraTool link you provided earlier on in this thread. I ran it and... it didn't indicate any problems.

Best of luck to all those who are having issues with their computers.

Have a good one and take good care of you,

Erin

rsrace2
Former Member
Message 39 of 47

Jump to solution

Let me know if something comes up on the make-up conference call.  It seems it may be my only path forward.

Apparently I missed my "scheduled" Tier-2 opportunity because I wasn't at my phone the exact moment the tech called (no appointment made - just a 24-48 hour window where I have to be waiting by my phone and catch it in 3 rings - even though I specifically asked for a call time to be sure I had control of the problem computer).  I find it really hard to hold back nature for 48 hours so I made the mistake of leaving my desk momentarily.  I guess I should have known better.

Now, according to the message, "it will be his pleasure for me to call tomorrow since I am unavailable"...I REALLY hope the pronouns got swapped around because the McAfee phone numbers are blocked (private caller) and he did not leave a call-back number in his message - I have no way to return the call even though it was just moments ago.  Why is something as simple as leaving a phone number or (if calling receiving is impossible/impractical) providing a time to expect a call so difficult?  This seems like a basic step out of Customer Support 101.

So, either I am expecting to wait another day for a service opportunity, or I am back at Tier-1 starting over.  I don't know which.

If this was't so painful I could write a book on this saga...a comedy best-seller for sure.

Peacekeeper
Message 40 of 47

Jump to solution

Yeh silly no update yet Will PM you something.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/05/12 6:33:06 AM

You get a SR number re this call?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/05/12 6:47:15 AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community