Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 21 of 47

Re: One computer has consistent dat update problems

Jump to solution

Could you please post the SR job numbers for your sessions with Tech Support. This may help Hayton or Peacekeeper to get a tech pointed to you to dig deeper into this

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 22 of 47

Jump to solution

This was discussed on last night's conference call.  The consensus was that the poster (rsrace2) was probably correct in his theory that the machine with the problem may still have traces of the original network configuration and registry settings from the time when it was in a client/server network.  Tech support are dealing with this (see the previous post), and once the Tier 2 or 3 techs get a look at the machine the problem should be resolved.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 23 of 47

Jump to solution

Thank You Hayton

rsrace2
Former Member
Message 24 of 47

Jump to solution

Service Request #: 879195203

ID given at the end of the web-chat: 484570-879195203

Thanks in advance to any help that can be provided to a difficult-to-solve problem.

Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 47

Jump to solution

If it does not update recontact them and escalate it. Do not allow any more fiddles tell them the moderators here suggest it and this was approved by the Dinesh in our call.

rsrace2
Former Member
Message 26 of 47

Jump to solution

Thanks. 

Just so McAfee sees this as the customer does, I'll document my experience today.  I contacted Tech Support early this morning.  After 20 minutes of filling out the same information despite giving the SR and Chat numbers plus the advice of forum moderators and Dinesh approval, I was told "there is no Tier 2 support available today".  I know McAfee is international and not necessarily on the same time zone but I gave them a WIDE OPEN slot of 8hrs US time to call anytime - I cleared my calendar for them.  It is mind boggling for me to comprehend that there are no technicians on staff during US hours of operation. 

Yet another day of pursuing this issue (remember that I came to the forums after being frustrated with lack of progress by McAfee tech support).  Apparently they will call me tomorrow.

By the way, the DAT file did not update...as expected and as I explained to the Tech yesterday who insisted I was in error.

Message was edited by: rsrace2 on 5/16/12 7:42:10 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 47

Jump to solution

You have been trying this for a week with no solution you cannot be in error if a T1 could not fix it. The T2s usually have their day laid out so a call same day is hard to arrange. I have personally pinged a t2.5 for you to move this along. Can you PM me your phone number and best time of the day to call and I will see if they can do it.

rsrace2
Former Member
Message 28 of 47

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper,

Truthfully, I have been working on this issue with McAfee for nearly two months at various times under several different SR numbers - but we assumed victories with prior Tier-1 chats (they, perhaps rightly, like to declare everything fixed with one DAT update) and some time passed on my end due to other priorities (not McAfee's fault for lack of follow-up).  The past week on this forum is only as a result of finally "giving up" on the Tier 1 support in frustration, and trying to find a solution without them.

Thanks for the explanation on the T2 scheduling - that is not the impression given by the T1 support as they ask for convenient windows-of-time from "that moment" to as much as 24hrs later.  Once given, the words "all appointments are booked" seems misleading - I'd rather they told me, like my dentist does, that the next available appointment is ___ rather than let me guess technician work schedules in a silly "nope, no openings, try again" routine.  Perhaps this is all just communication and perception (and, admittedly, my perception is certainly not in the favor of the Tier-1 support after the past 2 months, partially because I do the Tier-1 troubleshooting routine before McAfee is ever contacted - having done it so many times over many years on various computers for work, personal, and volunteer/community efforts).

PM sent with contact information (US number).

I appreciate very much any follow-up to get this issue resolved.  I was supposed to have a Tier-2 call this morning but the appointment time has passed by an hour so I don't know if I will get a call prior to you getting this message (being in a different time zone), or not.  There has been no contact by McAfee (customer service or technicians) at all in the past 24 hrs except an email to ask if my problem has somehow resolved itself (i.e. Tier 1 wanting feedback to mark their case closed). 

I also appreciate your (and other volunteer moderators') involvement - I can honestly say that, without your responses, encouragements and directions on this forum, I would be using my time this week to uninstall the product from all of our computers.  So, thanks.  McAfee certainly benefits from your involvement.

rsrace2
Former Member
Message 29 of 47

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper,

If your 2.5 is better than the Tier-2 I dealt with today, please provide him/her with my contact info.

I got a call from a Tier-2 today who moved Services\Terminal Services from "manual" to "automatic" and declared victory because McAfee was green (the DAT is only 2 days old).  When I showed him the DAT had not updated with his efforts he pushed "update" and failed again.

Then despite my protests he re-re-re-re-uninstalled McAfee.  He said "not to worry, we will help you."

Then he went to a freeware cloud host and downloaded an executable file.  He enabled all pop-ups and all kinds started.  During the download a pop-up window came up saying "message from webpage - viruses found" and he clicked OK. What?  it wasn't McAfee?!   And then he accepted the malware "Security Essentials" (a known hoax off Windows products).  This is running my computer, not his.  Suddenly I had two viruses.  I would not have performed this action WITH virus protection but he had turned mine off.

I know he downloaded them because I checked with Malwarebytes before his chat session (part of the troubleshooting was to verify that I had no viruses) - no issues.  I checked with Malwarebytes after his call to see if it detected anything (or maybe I had something difficult that Malwares didn't get) but it detected both PUM's.  I removed them.  And removed Malwarebytes again so that it wouldn't upset my next Tier-1 tech despite the fact that it doesn't bother any other machine on which I have it.

I contacted the Virus Removal department at Mcafee (which he graciously gave me as complimentary) and they found NO viruses.

I now sit with no McAfee software (I hung up after 10 minutes on hold waiting for a Tier-1 to help me download the software again...I don't need that help).  I am downloading the installation files all over again.  When I get done I will have the latest DAT and will start all over with Tier-1 telling me I have the latest and am fully protected.  Two and a half solid hours and I am back where I was yesterday.  I am speechless.  Not really.

Update:

I visited the freeware website again to see if I could duplicate where the tech made his mistake.  Interestingly, the banner ads he clicked do not appear in Firefox.  I repeated it in Internet Explorer (which we were using) and they are certainly there.  I won't post the cloud host full link as it is to McAfee's executable, but it's on the free side of mediafire.com for McAfee's benefit (if you need the link, let me know and I will PM it to you; I believe the issue is that he must have clicked the banner ads using the akward remote host of my computer - but then he kept clicking OK instead of killing the processes).

And I now have DAT 6713 up to date but it won't update if I rename the DAT file to DAT_old

Message was edited by: rsrace2 on 5/17/12 12:19:30 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 47

Jump to solution

When or before you install Mcafee run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Pm;d you another request

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 18/05/12 7:04:32 AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community