cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 11 of 18

Re: On Access Scanning Memory Hog

Mine is still running at 140megs to 160 megs. It was at slightly over half that about a month ago. However , the CPU for it is rarely more than a few percent.

Message by: jmckee on 3/23/14 8:05:45 PM EDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 18

mcshield.exe, the on-access scanner, is not a lightweight application. It does take up a fair bit of memory.

However, there are two kinds of memory (resident and virtual) and most posts do not distinguish between them.

From Process Explorer I can see that on my XP machine the usage splits 40:60 - 97Mb resident memory to 159Mb virtual (disk) memory. As more of the application is temporarily on disk, of course it requires a lot of disk access. Page fault readings are generally very high.

Total memory usage has usually been about 250Mb, but the memory split used to be 60:40.

Edit : I forgot the screenshot

mcshield memory usage 3.JPG

Message was edited by: Hayton on 24/03/14 02:03:27 GMT
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 13 of 18

As can be seen from the screen shot , mine is using a bit more (163mb to 145mb).

mem.jpg

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 18

Hmm. In some ways not so different, but on yours I see 50Mb more in physical memory and a whole lot less being read from disk. And far fewer page faults too. I don't think mcshield is going to come in much below my total of c.250Mb on any machine. It is not, as I said, lightweight.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 15 of 18

Actually , just over a month ago , I was seeing closer to 60-70mb virtual memory. Never checked to see what it was using in physical memory.

tang1992
Former Member
Message 16 of 18

Mine as well. Now it is constantly above 250k

mrcoyote
Former Member
Message 17 of 18

I have windows 7 and having issues with the memory use of mcshield causing me to shut down.  My usage increases over time starting around 200 and increaseing to around 500 before my computer locks up.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 18

mrcoyote wrote:

I have windows 7 and having issues with the memory use of mcshield causing me to shut down.  My usage increases over time starting around 200 and increaseing to around 500 before my computer locks up.

You have your own thread here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/66680?tstart=0

For reference only.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community