Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 5

OT: Lenovo Malware

I need to buy a new laptop and I was considering a Lenovo.  But I'm having second thoughts - and even ruled them out -after being reminded that they got caught a few years ago of installing malware on the computers they were selling.  It led to a class action law suit, which was settled.  But it didn't seem to hurt them as people kept buying their computers.  So they somehow regained their credibility.

Yes, I know Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc., are tracking all of us.  But what Lenovo did was worse, wasn't it?  This wasn't just installing cookies to track your browsing history and purchases.  I believe they installed software that allowed them to get account numbers and passwords. 

Making it worse, was that after getting caught, Lenovo gave their customers a removal tool that said it removed the software.  But it really didn't.  And even if it did, who's to say they (somehow) put it back after it was removed?

Even if Lenovo said they won't do this anymore, can we believe them?  Why should we believe them?

So I thought I'd ask everyone here what they think about this.  Would you buy a Lenovo despite their history? 

Thanks.

4 Replies
karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: OT: Lenovo Malware

Hi @steve7,

Thank you contacting us for help.

Please follow the below KB article for the steps to be followed on a Lenovo PC with McAfee installed.

What is Superfish (Backdoor-FCNC) and how do I remove it?

Also, you need to make sure that your McAfee software is upto date which you can do by following the below steps.

• Right click on the McAfee icon at the bottom right corner.
  • Click on Check for updates

This will let you know if your McAfee is upto date. Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Karthikeyan J

steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Um, did you even read what I wrote?

karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 5

Hi @steve7,

Thank you for your response.

As your query was about Lenovo phishing software,  I had provided the article which explains on how to remove the software and files, if you would like to purchase a Lenovo PC and if any present in the PC.

Please let us know if you have any other concerns.

steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Yes, my concern is the software they were putting on their laptops.    Have they stopped it?  Do we believe them?  Is this a reason to avoid Lenovo? 

And why was this topic removed from the General Discussion board?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community