cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trap
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

OK to let Win version scan Mac disk partition?

Hi, I'm running Windows XP on a Mac using Bootcamp. I've installed the McAfee Security Suite on the Windows disk partition. When I look at the Scan options, I see that the Mac disk partition "Macintosh HD" is included in the list of what will be scanned as part of a full scan.

Question: Is there any problem with having the Windows version of McAfee Scan scan the Mac disk partition? (For example, will the Windows Scan incorrectly diagnose some Mac OS files as viruses and try to remove them, etc.?)

As an aside, I did a "custom" scan without including the Mac disk partition and that works fine. But it would be nice not to have to do a "custom" scan each time.

Other info:
- McAfee Scan v13.15
- Windows XP Pro SP3
- MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.6 (snow leopard)

Note: Some threads here have indicated that WinXP can't read the Mac partition; but that appears not to be the case. That is, using My Computer, I can browse the "Macintosh HD" partition from Windows.

Thanks for your help!
8 Replies
trap
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

RE: OK to let Win version scan Mac disk partition?

Anyone have any insight into this one? Lots of people run Mac's in dual-boot mode with Windows so I'm assuming that this isn't an unusual configuration for McAfee...
thanks, trap
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

I think that you would have to ask Technical Support Chat about this (link at top left of page or in my signature) as it's a technical question. All I know is that MAC is not supported by the home products and may or may not have problems reading a MAC partition/system.

If you are looking for protection for MAC then you would have to install an appropriate application that is MAC-compatible.

I guess the only way to tell immediately would be to try it.
trap
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Thanks, Ex-Brit. I'm not looking for protection on the mac side; just trying to ensure that my Win config doesn't mess up the mac side of things. I'll run it past tech support.
trap
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Good luck, sorry I couldn't help more.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

It occurred to me that one the technicians who posts here fairly often may know something about this. Let me leave a note for him and get back to you.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

According to my tech friend, it isn't advisable to use McAfee to scan a MAC partition, there is no guarantee it wont either malfunction or erase something important.
trap
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for following up on this -- very much appreciated! (If I get other info on this, I'll post it here.)
trap
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Good luck.:)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community