cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cchipscookies
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

New Mcafee subscriber- AntiVirus Plus Slows down my computer?

Hi,

I just switched over to Mcafee from Avast. My father uses Mcafee on his company/enterprise computers. So when I installed and set up the program, everything is fine. But once I use other programs with Mcafee running, it's when I really notice the performance issues. My computer will lag and videos playing that are stored locally on my hard drive will freeze/play in slo-mo. Even if I want to change settings in the Mcafee control panel, the program freezes and takes a long time to get to the next screen (that I clicked). When I play games, things load 2 times slower.

I tried turning off Real-Time scanning but it only helps a little bit. And I don't want to do that because I will comprimise the safety of my system. I tried turning every setting to minimize cpu/system resources usage but it still doesn't help.

My computer is perfectly capable of running Mcafee. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3612QM 2.1-3.1Ghz, 6M Cache

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz

Graphics: Intel HD4000/nVidia GT630m

HDD: 1Tb 5400RPM

I believe that it's my hard drive that is slow. But I don't think it should be an issue right? Most people don't have SSDs yet I think.

Thank you!

Message was edited by: cchipscookies
(Typo) on 5/20/14 11:06:58 PM CDT
10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 11

Re: New Mcafee subscriber- AntiVirus Plus Slows down my computer?

Ok several questions

1. You mention your father has Mcafee enterprise amd you setup the program. I assume you mean you installed Mcafee virusscan plus consumer version not the coroprate enterprise version?

2. When you uninstalled avast did you remove it use its own removal program? It sounds as if avast has bits left I would remove Mcafee as per the removal steps in my Signature and run the avast removal tool.

Reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

I am running Mcafee all access on an e6600 dual core and 2gb ram old 5400 hard disk so your setup should be fine.

Two other things are

1. Are you running thunderbird it has issues with Mcafee and there is a workaround

2. I disabled indexing as mcafee scanning the indexing when the PC starts this can slow down things a lot for several minutes but all in all I would say avast has not been fully removed

on 21/05/14 4:10:54 PM
cchipscookies
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Tony's solution but it doesn't help. The computer still lags like crazy. I think it has something to do with Windows 8's built in AV-Windows defender AKA Microsoft Security Essentials.

Any idea how to disable it? Or should I just contact technical support?

Thanks!

Oh and I am using the consumer version of Mcafee. Antivirus Plus

Message was edited by: cchipscookies on 5/22/14 8:28:33 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Simply installing McAfee should have disabled it automatically but here is how to disable it if it didn't happen that way.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21962-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

It must be disabled for McAfee to function correctly.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 11

Hi cchipscookies,

Please confirm whether disabling Real Time Scanning brings Performance to normal or you face slowdowns when RTS is turned OFF. It would be more helpful if you could post the data I request below.

1. Press WIN + R to open the Run dialogue

2. Type msinfo32 and click OK

3. You will now see the System Information console. Wait for texts to load on the right pane.

4. Click on File > Export and give a name as you wish (File type will be text ) , save it to the desktop. (Wait until it processes completely)

5. Now attach this text file in your reply here for so as to proceed further.

Post back for Clarifications..!

cchipscookies
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Hi,

Disabling Real Time Scanning improves performance a little bit. However, lag is still present. Even when I watch a Youtube video, the video slows down so much it's like listening to robotic voices in slo mo.

I have attatched the msinfo in this post.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 11

Open action centre is anything interesting shown?

I assume you tried Peter's and my avast and MSE removal/disabling methods?

cchipscookies
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Action centre is all normal. And yes I tried the Avast and MSE removal/disabling methods.

Thank you for helping me

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Turning off RTS means you aren't protected at all don't forget.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 11

While awaiting selvan's suggestions re the msinfo32 file you attached maybe and this a long shot is to uninstall Mcafee full as per the link in my signature and see if issue clears up.

Run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account.

It is possible the install was corrupted. I would also when Mcafee removed rerun the avast tool.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community