cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 1 of 6

My computer turns itself on in the middle of the night; how do I stop this and not stop scan?

I asked on a site devoted to Windows and got no help but I did get asked to provide a lot of complicated information. It may be I never got an answer because I was unwilling to provide this information publicly and the logical thing to do would have been for someone to take the information privately.

Ideally, I would like to press the sleep button so the computer will be easier to turn on each day. I should ask if there is an option for the computer to sleep, not turn off, after a certain period of inactivity. Whatever the computer is doing that makes itself has to turn on would be activity and when it is finished that would start the clock.

The problem is that McAfee doing a full scan would be considered "inactivity". This is why I had to stop letting the computer turn itself off after a period of time.  I suppose in theory the Windows people could come up with a way to figure out if McAfee is doing a scan and only let the computer sleep when that is through. I have the option to turn the computer off after a full scan but like I said, it's easier to turn the computer back on if it was never "off".  Maybe McAfee could have the option to let the computer sleep when it is through.

5 Replies
Help_Everyone
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: My computer turns itself on in the middle of the night; how do I stop this and not stop scan?

Maybe they could come up with this feature

Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 6

Re: My computer turns itself on in the middle of the night; how do I stop this and not stop scan?

Hello @vchimpanzee 

We understand your concern. In fact, that's a great idea what you've mentioned. We will take this valuable feedback from you and hope a feature gets added as per you suggestion.

Regards,
Madhan M

vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 4 of 6

Things have gotten worse and I don't know how to get the situation corrected. Now, my desktop goes to sleep after a certain amount of time has passed. The full scan is at 9 percent (last time it was 11) and I have to pause it when I turn the computer on again because the scan slows everything down. But that's not the solution. The scan starts again on its own and lets me know it has finished. No wonder everything was running so slowly. If this continues there will be no way to ever again do a full scan.  

ChristySmith
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Try just turning off the power from your computer before going to bed or check this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR7lUNUE53g&ab_channel=MDTechVideos

vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 6 of 6

While I didn't follow what was going on in the video, I did part of it and discovered my computer was set to turn itself off after 30 minutes. How that got changed I don't know. I changed that back to Never. So that should solve my virus scan problem. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community