Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkathryn
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

My Real Time Scanning won't turn on?

Jump to solution

Hello, thanks in advance for your help.  I recently purchased McAfee Total Protection 2016 and like many other people from previous years, my Real Time scanning will not turn on and I cannot run a scan ("An unexpected error occurred...").

I am running Windows 7.  I have already tried the MVT - it ran and told me that it had fixed the Real Time scanning, but it has not resolved the issue.

I do have (the crappy) Anvi Smart Defender installed - my laptop had a virus a couple years ago, but otherwise, I don't think there are any competing antivirus programs on my machine.

I don't believe I have malware - but then again I am unsure because I cannot do a scan.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 18

Re: My Real Time Scanning won't turn on?

Jump to solution

Judging from some of the reviews of this particular program you still have installed. I highly recommend uninstalling it, as it could be Conflicting/Clashing with your McAfee Software. Quite possibly could have corrupted it also.

Anvi Smart Defender Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Please remove the 'Anvi Smart Defender' and reboot and try a scan and see if it works.Kindly post back and let us know if you need further assistance.

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

17 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 18

Jump to solution

Judging from some of the reviews of this particular program you still have installed. I highly recommend uninstalling it, as it could be Conflicting/Clashing with your McAfee Software. Quite possibly could have corrupted it also.

Anvi Smart Defender Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Please remove the 'Anvi Smart Defender' and reboot and try a scan and see if it works.Kindly post back and let us know if you need further assistance.

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 18

Jump to solution

It would be wise to make certain you are current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates/Add-Ons. To include Internet Explorer, even if you do not use it. McAfee and other vital programs require it to function properly.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
mkathryn
Former Member
Message 4 of 18

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply! Can you instruct me on how to uninstall Anvi Smart Defender?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 18

Jump to solution

Click on Start >Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features/Uninstall. Look for it and uninstall/and do a 'Full Re-boot' Shut down and wait a few minutes, Restart and allow Windows to load entirely. Try scanning with McAfee and post back your results.

It may be that this particular program has corrupted your McAfee Software. In addition may need to run some additional tools, which we can direct you to.

Good Luck,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
mkathryn
Former Member
Message 6 of 18

Jump to solution

I successfully uninstalled Anvi Smart Defender and got up to date with my Windows Updates. I also have the most recent version of Internet Explorer. McAfee still will not run a scan or keep real time scanning turned on. Where to go from here?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 18

Jump to solution

I was hoping that would not be the case   For that particular program is known to alter Windows Registry. You will most likely benefit Uninstalling/Re-Installing your McAfee Software. However before doing so, let's make sure you have no Malware on it.

Try Running Malwarebytes (Free)  To keep it (Free) DO NOT enable or activate the (Free Trial) or paid Version. After running this Superb Program, Delete anything it finds and do a Restart. Follow up by running AdwCleaner, delete anything it may find, and do a restart.

You can obtain these (Free) Superb Tools and others here; 

After running Both Scans, try a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall of your McAfee Software following these Guidelines/Instructions; How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

Kindly post back your results, just in case you need further assistance.

Btw....You can keep Malwarebytes (Free) on your system, as it is compatible with your McAfee Software and is an Excellent 'On Demand Scanner/Compliment to your Anti Virus. Simply update it each time, before scanning.

Good Luck

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
mkathryn
Former Member
Message 8 of 18

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your persistence. I'm grateful for the help. I am running Malwarebytes and so far it has detected 110 PUPs.  How do I go about locating and getting rid of them efficiently?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 18

Jump to solution

Let it continue to run and delete all items found/restart. then run AdwCleaner and remove all found/restart.

Tip...Finish running your scans before posting

I will be back in about 30 mins...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
mkathryn
Former Member
Message 10 of 18

Jump to solution

Sorry about that - I wasn't familiar with the program and didn't know how long the scan would take.

Anyway, I've ran both Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner and cleaned all the problems found, restarted, McAfee will still not run a scan.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community