cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DennisL
Former Member
Message 1 of 1

More efficient way to install updates on multiple computers

I am in the process of "upgrading" from VirusScan v4.5.1 SP1 to VirusScan Plus (VirusScan 13) and am looking for a way to make the update process more efficient.

My primary motivation for doing this is that I live on the wrong side of the Digital Divide and use dial-up as my primary internet connection.  As anyone using a slow connection can attest, downloading potentially daily 100MB updates on multiple computers that share the same slow connection is not a realistic option.

Has anyone come up with a way to install updates on one computer and apply them to other computers?  VirusScan v4.5.1 SP1 had this option.  Download a single 100MB+ SuperDat*.exe file and use it to update the virus signatures and engine on as many computers as you want.

I think I have a solution, but need to install VirusScan Plus on another computer to see if it works.

For those of you who have broadband connections, it only takes ~15 minutes to update the three products in VirusScan Plus.  But you, and McAfee, are wasting considerable bandwidth that would be better spent on activities that might improve the world we all live in and share if you update more than one computer.

With dial-up, I spent 2 days before giving up and using my wireless broadband connection.  This is something I refuse to do on a regular basis because, as you may already know, all brand name wireless broadband options limit monthly data transfer to ~5GB and it is very expensive to go over the limit ($500/GB in my case).

BTW, don't *ever* talk to tech support regarding this.  They will drown you in BS.

BR

Dennis

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community