cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beanstir
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Mcafee will not scan, fix errors, (and maybe not connect to internet)

hello i was using my computer yesterday when sudennly the screen went blank, but the computer was still runing. this has happened before so no big deal, although when i restared i notice i could not connect to the internet, msn trouble shouter was sayin it was the keyports, and later on the default gateway, the internet diagnostic tool was sayin it was the modem

either way, McAffe wont run properly, it will not allow me to fix the various problems wrong with my computer, just repeating the message "one or more problems cannot be fixed becuase of an error"

then when i go to scan this message appears;

"scanning has encountered a problem from which it cannot recover

scan failed to start, result; 2147467259"

My computer files are red, hence not protected,

same with email and IM

Internet and parental control go from normal to yellow

Also my university has been "aparently" transefering viruses through memory sticks... called "NICKALOG" although i am quitly confident it is not this..

can someone please help, thankyou

3 Replies
kumar_B
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Mcafee will not scan, fix errors, (and maybe not connect to internet)

at the right hand side of computer & files u will have the error messages just find out what its all about . if you have any error messages like "detection signature files is between 8-29 days old " or if you find anyother message just rply to us .  also  try running mcafee virtual technician available at the very top of this page under useful links , which will scan for any mcafee issues .  also could u pls tell me whats the operating system(xp, vista or windows 7). also just check whether you have any other 3rd parety antivirus security program by going to start > controlpanel > add or remove programs (for vista its programs & features ) .if u hav any just remove the 3rd party security (like malware or spyware or adware or norton symantec or anyother firewall protection like zonealarm ) .

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Hi beanstir,

Please let me know the following details such as;

How is the computer connected to internet ?
Do we receive any anonymous pop ups in the computer (probably virus/malware infected pop ups)
If possible please post me with a screen shot of your security center, which will help us to proceed fast with this one.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

please do try running mcafee virtual technician which is available under useful links at the very top of the page . but before doing that make sure that u dont have infection in your computer . u can also try running this stinger scan frommcafee "http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/fakealertstinger.exe" just click this link and click "run" > "run"> scannow andwait till scan completes after that restart your computer .

if still you are not able to fix your problem just restart your computer in safe mode (by tapping F8 in top row of ur keyboard till u get a windows advanced boot options where u must select safe mode with networking and then press enter .  login to teh computer .

try to go t start > computer ( or my computer )right click c drive andseect which will go for  one hour .

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community