Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tondro
Former Member
Message 1 of 29

Mcafee virus and spyware protection turned off while updating

Jump to solution

ok so the title may not be clear but let me explain (i'm running 64-bit windows 😎

i'm using Mcafee Internet Security given to me by my internet provider. it's been a few months since i had mcafee and i had no problems whatsoever until today.

i was manually updating my mcafee internet security like i usually do everyday. i was downloading the update then it showed me a message to close the interface so i can install the update, and so i closed the window. as i was waiting for the update to be finished, the message didn't pop up saying that it finished installing. i found that to be weird so i went to the action center and found out my virus and spyware protection has been turned off and instead windows defender is on. i restarted my laptop but when i opened up my action center windows defender was still there and still is. i ran a full scan with mcafee and it detected no virus.

my question is if there is a way to fix this. thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tondro
Former Member
Message 5 of 29

Re: Mcafee virus and spyware protection turned off while updating

Jump to solution

thanks your advice helped me alot and the problem is fixed. but i have 2 questions that doesn't have to do with the topic

1. Is the "mcods" (mcafee scanner) something essential for mcafee to work?

2. i've installed mcafee virtual technician when i've first used it, it went fine and fixed my problems. i closed it then i wanted to re-open it but it seems that i can't and i don't know why. the program icon is just a white file and when i click on it it doesn't open mvt so i'm wondering if this is a problem or not

thanks in advance

View solution in original post

28 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 29

Jump to solution

Defender should most definitely be off in Windows 8 when you have a 3rd party antivirus such as McAfee installed as running 2 antivirus application could cause security problems.

What does McAfee SecurityCenter say, are both firewall and antivirus turned on?

By the way you say you restarted the laptop.  In Windows 8 if Fast Startup is turned on the OS in fact doesn't reboot, it simply goes to sleep and wakes up again which is bad if a major update has occurred.

You can turn that off here:  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html?ltr=F

If there's a problem try running the Virtual Technician once or twice to see if it fixes things:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

tondro
Former Member
Message 3 of 29

Jump to solution

mcafee security center says that firewall and antivirus is on. i've tried to turn windows defender off in the task manager but it doesn't work. also before windows defender was always off when mcafee was running.

i'll try the methods that you've shown me. thank you

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 29

Jump to solution
tondro
Former Member
Message 5 of 29

Jump to solution

thanks your advice helped me alot and the problem is fixed. but i have 2 questions that doesn't have to do with the topic

1. Is the "mcods" (mcafee scanner) something essential for mcafee to work?

2. i've installed mcafee virtual technician when i've first used it, it went fine and fixed my problems. i closed it then i wanted to re-open it but it seems that i can't and i don't know why. the program icon is just a white file and when i click on it it doesn't open mvt so i'm wondering if this is a problem or not

thanks in advance

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 29

Jump to solution

1.  mcods.exe is the McAfee On Demand Scan and is essential to keeping your system safe so don't alter it or disable it in any way.

2. There are two ways of dealing with this.  a) Uninstall McAfee Virtual Technician from the Program list http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/77761-programs-features-uninstall-change-program.html

or..b) reinstall it and it should detect the previous install and up date it and make the icon active http://mvt.mcafee.com/ - then you can choose to keep it for future use or uninstall it as above.

tondro
Former Member
Message 7 of 29

Jump to solution

thanks for anwsering my first question and for the second one i uninstalled it and reinstalled it and the program icon hasn't changed and i found out that for mvt to work anytime you have to go to "services.mcafee.com" plus yesterday when i ran mvt it only found 2 problems but when i tried it again this morning it found 13 problems in the registry. is it because of a virus that myy registry is weird or maybe it's because i ran ccleaner and it deleted some of the mcafee files?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 29

Jump to solution

Don't alter the settings of services.msc, obviously you or maybe an infection have and now things aren't working properly, plus the software wont work as expected if you remove parts of it, why would you even try to do that?   You will most likely have to uninstall, cleanup using MCPR, reboot and reinstall.

Are you using CCleaner as a registry cleaner?  If so stop as it's work is NOT reversible.

You may also have to end up doing a repair installation of the entire operating system, which is beyoned the scope oi these forums.   Technical Support may be able to assist you and avoif that but I can't guarantee that.

tondro
Former Member
Message 9 of 29

Jump to solution

i haven't used ccleaner as a registry cleaner i just use the cleaner

also i haven't altered anything in services.msc

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 29

Jump to solution

OK, but I wondered why you needed to go to services for MVT, seems rather weird, unless maybe you are using a user account that is standard rather than adminstrator-level?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community