Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nnamdia
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Mcafee stopped working after installing windows 7 Sp1

Jump to solution

Hi all,

My mcafee stopped working after I installed windows SP1, the icon is greyed out in my notification tab and windows is giving me a virus protection msg. has anyone experienced this or have a solution? Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Re: Mcafee stopped working after installing windows 7 Sp1

Jump to solution

It could also be a case of a corrupted installation which can be cured easily by uninstalling in the normal manner via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page and reboot (make sure it's a fresh copy of this tool as it changes frequently).

Reinstall from the online account, not from any CD you may have.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Kindly run the McAfee virtual technician from here : http://mvt.mcafee.com that should take care of the issue and provide us with the session id.

If you still have issues, please follow this document and reinstall  McAfee programs and let us know the status.

. http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Regards,

nnamdia
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

session ID:36670086....

results says

virus scan: Mcafee security centre 15.0.294

fixed: registry entry problem detected [128]

problem: missing files [27]

problem: services expected {3]

personal firewall: Mcafee security centre 12.0345

Problem: service not running

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Do you have any other security software installed or have you had any unusual popups or behaviour?

Maybe it is best to open a case on this.

Contact Technical Support as I suggested previously as that certainly shouldn't be happening.   From your area the best way most likely would be online chat.

nnamdia
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

No other security software installed. Just mcafee... It's still updating presently but will try the online chat if it's still down after the update.

Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

OK, sorry you are having so much trouble.  From what you say I gather your connection isn't the fastest.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

nnamdia wrote:

No other security software installed. Just mcafee... It's still updating presently but will try the online chat if it's still down after the update.

Thanks.

Hi nnamdia,

Did you remember to uninstall your copy of McAfee or shut down Real-Time Scanning and set it to Never, before you installed Service Pack 1?

When you installed a Service Pack, you should always either turn off your Anti-Virus program or uninstall it. Reinstall McAfee after you reboot the computer from installing a Service Pack.

Eliminates a lot of headaches.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

It could also be a case of a corrupted installation which can be cured easily by uninstalling in the normal manner via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page and reboot (make sure it's a fresh copy of this tool as it changes frequently).

Reinstall from the online account, not from any CD you may have.

nnamdia
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

i uninstalled and reinstalled mcafee and its working perfectly. thanks everyone.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

That's great, good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community