cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clvolkov
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Mcafee on-access scan is crippling my computer

I am using a dell laptop with 4 CPU and 2Gb memory. When I am watching some online videos (in IE with the adobe flash player) this would happen. Although the task manager shows that mcshield.exe only uses one of the four CPUs, actually I can do nothing at such moments. Closing the IE does not solve the problem, mcshield.exe would still be active. And in the task manager one of the svchost.exe processes pops up constantly, corresponding to the wifi autoconfiguration service.

Today I tried to run a full scan after this happens, and it seems that the on-access scan is also conflicting with the full scan process.

Normally the only way is to restart the computer. But this is really unpleasant, especially when the whole family are watching a movie.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mcafee on-access scan is crippling my computer

Make sure that Windows is up to date, especially Internet Explorer (IE8 for XP and IE9 for Vista/Win 7) and its add-ons (Flash, Shockwave, Java etc. etc.) and go into SecurityCenter and make sure the browser has full access.

Double-click the icon to open SC.

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Internet Connections for Programs

Click the word Program at the top to arrange them alphabetically

Locate IE and make sure its got Full access using thr Edit button if necessary.

If that doesn't help I recommend you contact Technical Support by phone or online chat, it's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

clvolkov
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

First of all, thank you for your respond.

Allowing all connections of IE is not a viable option. Sometimes I or my family members may run into some malicious websites unconsciously. And the firewall provides a very good protection upon such events.

Besides, I don't think IE is responsible for everything, otherwise shouldn't closing IE terminate the problem? If this is wrong, please point it out for me.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

It's your choice.  You could perhaps try another browser like Firefox for instance.  Otherwise your best advice is to consult with Technical Support as they may be able to poinht out a setting that needs tweaking perahps.

clvolkov
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

So here is not Technical Support? Could you give me some links?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Here is only as technical as peer-to-peer support can get that's why I recommended Technical Support proper.   As I said above they are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

(Click image to enlarge if needed)

Capture.JPG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community