McAfee Total Protection with Safe Connect 16.0 R38

VirusScan updated 9/28/21  Build 25.1.140

This build did not fix my Office Home and Business 2013

p8er
Contributor III
Message 43 of 47

Re: Mcafee Real Time Scanning not allowing Excel & Word files to open

Jump to solution

Update: I've logged into my McAfee account, downloaded the current install file, uninstalled McAfee, rebooted (part of the uninstall process), reinstalled from the downloaded install file, and that seems to have resolved the Excel issue. Thank goodness.

SamW
Contributor
Message 44 of 47

Jump to solution

Thank you @p8er. I followed your instructions and it worked for me as well for MS Office 2010.

1. Downloaded the latest installation file from my McAfee account.

2. Uninstalled McAfee Total Protection, include removing all the files.

3. Reboot, Test if Excel opens without any issue, and it did open very quickly. BTW: I also realized how fast my computer is without McAfee running.

4. Install McAfee from the installation just downloaded.

5. Reboot, and Excel still opens quickly after 24 hours.   

VirusScan build 25.1.140, Engine creation date 10/2/2021, Engine Version: 4577.0

I digress, I've been using Norton and Avast for decades, never had an issue like this. This is the first year I thought giving McAfee a try and bought a subscription. Probably will be the last, because I've never had an antivirus software that kept me from using productive applications on my computer.

Old-hammer
Contributor
Message 45 of 47

Jump to solution

Thanks for pushing a full re-install of Mcafee.  Solved the problem with opening Excel 2010 on my Windows 10 machine.

Just for the record for the better part of 2 decades I've been using McAfee and never had a problem like this before.  Thanks for the help.

mmarquez
Contributor
Message 46 of 47

Jump to solution

Still have the same issue, thinking on moving to another software.

Gremlin
Contributor
Message 47 of 47

Jump to solution

Just checked the date on your post. Seems like they're still along way from a real solution to this, though I fear my particular issue is 'cos I am running Office XP.

Before anybody laughs (or worse) I happen to like this particular release and after many years of trial and error I have it set up just the way I like it. I know what I'm doing with it, and have never had a problem. Until now. 

I recently decided to upgrade my AV protection. I'd been using AVG for a while but the wife already had a McAfee subscription on her machine so I upgraded that to Total Protection.

Straightaway I saw that my (previously happy and content) version of MIcrosoft Word was now showing "requesting virus scan" in the bottom left corner of its window , before shutting down in some bizarre sulk. Whether it was clicking on a document (in file manager) or going through the open file commands in Word, the result was the same.

Not so with Excel and access. These two seem to work quite happily with the McAfee software.

It's just Word that's goosed.

I've contacted McAfee support several times. After remotely messing about with my system they declared the problem nothing to do with the AV stuff.

I've turned real-time scans off - same thing.

I've tried un/re-installing McAfee - no change there.

I had considered splashing out on a more modern version of word. But (aside form not liking the interface) it seems that the problem is kinda universal so I wouldn't be any better off.

The weird thing is that I can start word with no problem. I can create a New document and insert any other of my documents into it. This does involve a certain amount of faffing around with the formatting, but I can then print or save with no problems.

Just can't open anything.

Frustrating to say the least.

Anyway... I'm pretty sure that this issue won't be going away any time soon, but thought I'd add my tuppence-worth to the pot, if only to encourage McAfee to take it a bit more seriously than they appear to be.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community