cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carolrose1970
Former Member
Message 61 of 74

Re: McSvHost.exe McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and must close

if i turn off netguard, is it going to affect the security of my computer?  that's the only thing i haven't tried; i'm willing to try it but only if i am guaranteed i'm not going to infect my computer somehow.   i've tried everything else, and it hasn't worked.  if i do this, and it works for now,fine..  my husband is ready to find new protection because he is beyond furious with this... 

Peacekeeper
Message 62 of 74

As long as you run siteadvisor and follow its suggestions disabling netguard is not a big deal as both use trusted source ratings. Using both is better but this disabling is supported by the techs. There is a fix waiting release it is being held up as they need to add a fix for the Internet blocking to the patch. This is of course if they find 1. We mods will try to get them to expedite the release as this has gone on long enough.

bsdtwd
Former Member
Message 63 of 74

I was finally able to make the "McAfee Service Host..." error go away. I believe it's a pernicious problem linked to the "Attack Detection Settings" within the McAfee Total Protection. I noticed all of the types of attacks listed "Denial of Svc." etc. had "No" indicated on the far left. I then changed each one (about 😎 to Yes and the problem went away. Some how the settings were manipulated. I had tried MVT, turned off Net Guard and all the rest w/o luck. It became an every ten minute error message that locked up my old Dell. Give it a try.

Peacekeeper
Message 64 of 74

Well my test XP box has not the issue nor does it have any of those selected. the fix is out in Au now and out on US Tuesday so why go for work around when the fix is about here.

That said any1 else try this as if works will ask tomorrow at our Monday call.

throckmorton
Former Member
Message 65 of 74

I am having the same issue. I'm running a Dell 5150 with Windows XP and Google Chrome browser with Cox McAfee SecurityCenter. This problem just started in the past few weeks. I'll get the McAfee error window and lose my Internet connectivity and have to reboot the computer to get back up and running. I make daily use of GoToMyPC.com and this issue has resulted in a failure to remotely connect to my computer. Here is the error message and details I get.

McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

szAppName : McSvHost.exe     szAppVer : 2.0.230.0     szModName : unknown    

szModVer : 0.0.0.0     offset : 04a139d9

C:\DOCUME~1\ARTHUR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3b0d.dir00\McSvHost.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\ARTHUR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3b0d.dir00\appcompat.txt

I have now disabled Netguard. I also ran "services.msc" from the Run command, and found McAfee Services where I found the "McSvhost" listed in the command line of "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc. I have set the recovery parameters to "Restart the Service" on the first, second and subsequent failures.

I have also now stopped and disabled the Apple iTunes Bonjour service as recommended in the McAfee document Document ID: TS101346 at http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101346. I will proceed to the additional workaround steps if these first two changes don't work.

Message was edited by: throckmorton on 6/8/12 6:52:43 AM CDT
bratsche
Former Member
Message 66 of 74

I am also having the same issue regularly, am in the US, and if anything the problem has gotten noticeably worse since Tuesday when supposedly a fix was released. The error box pops up multiple times an hour, and after I send the error report I am unable to connect to any new site or navigate anywhere within one to which I was already connected until I either wait 10 minutes or so for the tantrum to cease, or give up, close Firefox, and restart my system.

I also had the issue where, upon rebooting after the latest update, Firewall was turned off.

McAfee recently sent me an email inviting me to commit to another year's service 6 months early. Ha! Who knew they had such a sense of humor?

Peacekeeper
Message 67 of 74

should be

McAfee Security Center

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.678

Firewall was also updated with that update - 12.0.355

US started Tuesday can go 4 or more days of trying for updates to get it.

Though if you want it now uninstall and reinstall via the correct method

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Ensure you are on the US server

bratsche
Former Member
Message 68 of 74

Thank you, Peacekeeper. All most helpful information.

I currently have Security Center build 11.0.669 and Firewall build 12.0.355, both last updated via the automatic update service a month ago. The home screen says I am current with all updates. Not sure how to ascertain whether I'm on the US server; also not sure I have the patience to do a total uninstall/reinstall right now!

Disabling Netguard as of this morning has worked. I also reset the recovery parameters to keep trying to restart, as adivsed above, but that alone did nothing. I'll try doing an update later on when I have some time. Thanks again.

ergojm
Former Member
Message 69 of 74

Just got a restart update, is it safe to turn Netguard back on?

dc2sd
Former Member
Message 70 of 74

You people make me laugh; you're still struggling with this mcaffee crap. 2 months ago I ditched it and switched my virus protection to ESETS and have lived trouble free ever since. 

Will you all still be disabling this, that and the other thing, or unplugging your toasters in another year just waiting and waiting for another band-aid?

If you are using the suite through your ISP for "free", why are you still putting yourself through this?  If you paid for this crap then tell mcafee to refund your money and go elsewhere.  If they don't, it's only at most $59 you've lost; but stay around here and you'll end up losing your mind too.

Just like cattle...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community