cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamelmc
Former Member
Message 51 of 74

Re: McSvHost.exe McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and must close

I am have ing the same issue with this error but my version of McAfee doens't have Netguard I don't think.

Can you please take a look at my screen shot and let me know what you think?

McAfee error.bmp

Thank you,

Mindy

Peacekeeper
Message 52 of 74

Yes it does have netguard open the Security Centre and then the firewall in Web and email protection. The netguard settings are at the bottom of the list.

There is a fix coming but it is being help up as part of the patch has issues . Disabling netguard for a couple of weeks is oK to do if you still have Siteadvisor installed.

hamelmc
Former Member
Message 53 of 74

Thanks, Tony!

terranator
Former Member
Message 54 of 74

Okay,  I started having this same thing "McAfee Service Host Error" pop up a few weeks ago.  I have a Dell computer about 8 years old and running Windows XP.  I use Firefox most,  but occasionally use Internet Explorer 8 for my browser-I am about to download IE9, if my computer will handle it.  I have the AT&T Internet Security Suite/McAfee Security Center.  Updates are automatically installed on a regular basis.  I am getting EXTREMELY annoyed with this problem,  and am on the verge of eliminating McAfee and going with something else.  After reading through almost all of the posts on this,  I'm beginning to believe the problem lies with McAfee,  who seem to be dragging their feet getting this resolved.  Well?

Peacekeeper
Message 55 of 74

IE9 will not install on XP sorry.

Disable netguard and run with that till the patch comes soon.

dc2sd
Former Member
Message 56 of 74

terranator:

I had the same problems; I wonder if it has anything to do with using your ISP security suite?  I had Cox Cable's security suite/Mcafee and once I dumped that there has been no problems at all using another anti-virus software.

Since I started asking about this problem in May, 2011 and nothing at all worked (and yes, I did all the things listed on this forum to correct it), I gave up and left McAfee.  It appears as though it is a broad problem that they've just tried to put a small bandage on - but after a year I had enough.

Good luck

ergojm
Former Member
Message 57 of 74

I don't always get "Service host has encountered..." error message but for the last two weeks I have been losing my internet connection from IE at least two to four times a day and I have to either restart windows OR toggle "off" then "on" Mcafee firewall to be able to reconnect. By process of elimination, I have determined that it's the Mcafee firewall causing this loss of internet connection and it has been a major annoyance for my family to have to go through the effort multiple times a day of toggling the firewall. I tried turning off Netguard last night as suggested in this discussion community and haven't yet gotten a call from my wife complaining about Mcafee....yet so, this is a good sign!

Are others also having this IE connection issue when the service host quits? I wouldn't mind just an error notification if it didn't take out my browser sessions as well, every day.

Peacekeeper
Message 58 of 74

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101346

Issue recent Mcafee gathering data re the cause you interested in helping ie they contacting you?

terranator
Former Member
Message 59 of 74

dc2sd,

I'm keeping my cyber-fingers crossed.  I turned off netguard early yesterday and I have had no problems since.

I continue scratching my head in bewilderment and a little frustration.

terranator

ergojm
Former Member
Message 60 of 74

Update: Since turning off Netguard, I haven't had an error or had to restart my IE browser for two days now - Looks like this temp fix works!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community